• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Mainsprings "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am still waiting on my mainspring for a 992. Its on the way. Anyway I removed the old one and noticed that it dosent have the same coil when its just sitting on the bench. The weak? (old) mainspring in question has one constant coil as it gets tighter tword the center. When just sitting it will fit into a 4 inch circle. Now, A known good mainspring and others I've seen have a "S" shape when sitting unwound on the bench.
Could this be an indicator that the old spring is set or weak?
Basic questions from a amatuer watch repair guy.
I'm just trying to get an idea if this may cure my running slow problem.
Thanks,

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 #23
Chapter 185 Finance VP

We rise highest when we stoop to help others.

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Aaron,
That is a sure sign of a weak or set mainspring and could certainly cause your watch to run slow.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Aaron,

We just did the mainspring in an old 15-jewel Elgin Wheeler. It had been losing a couple minutes a day after the COA. I've been timing it the past few days and now with the new mainspring it's right on the money.

I agree with Brian. Everything you have described points directly to a worn out mainspring. There could be other problems, but eliminate this first.

Lindell

Cool

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Man, I LOVE what I just read, Lindell. (grins) High regards. Mark Cross Big Grin

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Mark,

Oh you recognized I was talking about your "Mr. Wheeler" did you? Yes it's ticking away loudly behind me right now. That's a watch that if you put it on the night-stand you could end up sleeping in the garage!

Reminds me of putting an Accutron on the night-stand and waking up in the middle of the night to complaints of how much noise it was making.

There's a happy ending to that story but we're a family-friendly Site!

See Ya,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Actually, Mr. Wheeler and my other watches DO hang on the wall on my side of the bed, and yes, they're all running. So far I haven't been tossed out in the yard....but don't give my wife any ideas! (grins) Thank you sir! Regards. Mark Cross

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Well, old Mr. Wheeler is back in my pocket, and keeping perfect time. MAN, I missed that old watch. It's amazing how much a new mainspring does for a movement, isn't it? High regards. Mark Cross

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163