Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Staking set - Information / help request "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1902
posted
I have recently purchased a staking set. Not in great condition but I am in the process of refurbishing it.
The only identification is a monogram on the side "GF" and beneath "Patent Applied For USA". Most of the punches are marked G@F and numbered plus a few K&d punches.
I am at a loss as to what all the bits are for but am sure that I will find out eventually.
The holes in some of the punches are minute as are some on the table and have assumed these to be for very small wristwatch work. Am I correct or have I got the wrong set for pocket watch work?
The various punches are :=
13 odd shapes which I think are for fitting roller jewels, chisel points, etc.
8 solid domed
9 flat ended
3 with holes but inward conically shaped, like a volcano crater
34 flat ended with holes through
26 domed ended with holes through
So that makes a total of 93 punches.
Plus 11 stumps, 4 with holes. 4 flat, 1 domed and 2 with weird slots.
And finally a rod with the end which sees to fit over the punches.
Would this be classed as a complete set for pocket watch work?
Any advise would be appreciated. I'm not after a complete run down on everything in the set but just general comments as to whether I'm on the right track.
Also there's a slot down the front which did have a spring but It's broken off. Any idea what that's for.

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013
IHC Member 1902
posted

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013
IHC Member 1902
posted

IHC Member 1902
posted

IHC Member 1902
posted

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
The slot in the front looks to be an inverto set up but it should not have a spring in it.
Picture 4 should have a punch that has a long tit on it to fit into the staff tool. The stumps look to be standard for most sets.
It appears to be a fairly complete set, but I don't know about the inverto part.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
posted
From the pamphlet in my punch set:

G & F Manufacturing Co
706 chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA

(Dates of operation unknown)

Likely 100 punch/20 stump assortment. Not a watch repairman so I don't know exact uses. Descriptions self evident. Punches can be inverted in punch stand to do work from bottom.

Punches are .187" dia. x 3.125" long. Smooth shank, stamped with number parallel to shank at hammer end, followed by GF logo.

#1-#31 Round nose hollow
#41-#71 (note no #32-#40) Flat hollow
#81-#90 (note no #72-#80) Round solid
#101-110 (note no #91-#100) Flat solid
#141 (note no #111-#140) Small roller
#142 Large roller
#145 (note no #143-#144) 3 corner
#150 (note no #146-#149) Large cross hole
#151 Small cross hole
#160-#161(note no #152-#159) Peen
Locating (centering)

Punch selector (tubular extractor)

20 Stumps including roller removers (???)

R. J. Sorensen

Posts: 2 | Location: New Berlin, Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: October 10, 2014
posted
Mike, you can find some info on that site:
http://www.watchtoolsonline.co...all-Moseley-7274.htm

There are 2 images of punches and stumps so you can compare. Also I would advise to inspect all holes in table for stuf which may stuck in it. Its the same for all punches - often some broken parts stack inside.

Rafal

Posts: 266 | Location: Wroclaw in Poland | Registered: May 06, 2013
IHC Member 1902
posted
Ronald and Rafal,

Thanks a lot for your information. I can find all that I need from it.

All the best, Mike

posted
Mike;

[Trade offer removed]

R. J. Sorensen

Posts: 2 | Location: New Berlin, Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: October 10, 2014
IHC Member 1902
posted
Hi Ronald, sorry but I only have the one 125 and it's part of the set.

Best wishes, Mike

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Ronald,

At this time you are a "registered user". We invite you to become an IHC185 Member by

Joining and Supporting the Internet Horology Club 185™

When you become an IHC185 Member you can participate in our...

"WANTED TO BUY OR TRADE" HOROLOGICAL ITEMS

IHC185 Management only permits sales in our BUY AND SELL HERE, THE IHC185™ TRADING MART venue as this is part of our "Members Only" feature.

We look forward to you becoming a full member,

Sincerely,

Dr. Deborah L. Irvine
IHC Administrative Assistant
Membership and Marts Coordinator

Contact eMail: ihc185@roadrunner.com

Smile

Posts: 5231 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002