WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

ANYONE HAVE ONE OF THESE? SUPERIOR WATCH CLEANER - PITTSBURGH "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roddy J. Brunton
posted
DOES ANYONE HAVE A WATCH PARTS CLEANING MACHINE BRANDED - SUPERIOR WATCH CLEANER - PITTSBURGH PA?

Roddy JB

Posts: 1384 | Location: Richmond, British Columbia in Canada | Registered: January 07, 2009
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi Rod, Todd here.
are you referring to the unit on e-pray? i just finished rebuilding a cleaning machine. there is nothing good about that piece of junk except the green glass jars. and they don't even have the proper lids, they should be screw on lids. look closely at the pics. there are no baskets, there is no basket mount on the motor, the bottom plate where the jars sit is missing, does the heater resistor work? what does the wiring underneath look like? does the motor run? you will never find some of the missing parts and if you do they will be very expensive.
see my post about the zenith machine rebuild i did and that unit was complete. stay away from this piece of junk. just my opinion.
Todd

Posts: 290 | Location: Montreal in Canada | Registered: January 11, 2015
IHC Life Member
posted
hi Todd,
Haven't ever seen one on Fleabay.
Rod

Roddy JB

Posts: 1384 | Location: Richmond, British Columbia in Canada | Registered: January 07, 2009
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
Hi Rod,
sorry, i thought you were looking at an ebay listing, i feel sorry for anyone who buys that.
Todd

Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
any electrical issues you may have i can definitely walk you through. i would be happy to help.
Todd

IHC Life Member
posted
THE MOTOR ASSEMBLY WITH THE BASKET IS PLACED IN EACH JAR SEPARATELY BY HAND. I AM GUESSING THERE IS AN ADAPTOR OR LOCKING RIM OF SOME SORT (SIMILAR TO THE 3 JAW LOCK ON THE HEATING CORNER) THAT ATTACHES TO THE JARS BEFORE THE MOTOR & BASKET IS USED. OTHERWISE IT WOULD BE TOO EASY FOR THE SPINNING BASKET TO HIT THE SIDE OF THE JAR AND BREAK IT.

Roddy JB

IHC Life Member
posted
MY ONE & THE ONE TODD POINTED OUT ON FLEABAY CAN'T BE THE ONLY TWO OF THESE OUT THERE?

Roddy JB

Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi Roddy,
looking at your machine i see what appears to be a brown colored gasket below the heater locking ring. is the surface where this gasket sits tapered? if it is tapered that would lead me to believe that the machine is friction fit into the mouth of the jar. that gasket is there for a reason.
Todd
P.S. if you are missing a spring pin from a wrist watch it is in the bottom left of the picture.

IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Todd,
Yes slightly tapered but quite a bit smaller than jar opening. I still think there must be a rim to protect the glass?
Yes, the spring bar was there temporarily.
Rod

Roddy JB

Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
are you sure you have the right jars?

IHC Life Member
posted
100% sure Todd. There is a 1/4 - 3/8" of play between the gasket and the jar neck. There had to be a metal "cap" that went on the jar with a tapered internal opening to take the basket/motor which likely locked into place with a bayonet mount like you see at the drying corner. Otherwise, as soon as you let go of the wooden handle it would tilt & hit the side of the jar.

Roddy JB

Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
do you happen to have the same green glass jars i do? if you do and you can measure the taper of the mount accurately i could make you a screw on adapter. i may be new at this watch repair thing but i am quite skilled at making custom parts. i am attaching a pic of the
OD measurement of my jar.
Todd

IHC Life Member
posted
Will send PM.
Rod

Roddy JB

IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Todd,
I sent you an email.
Rod

Roddy JB