Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

my first project watch - Illinois "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1369
posted
I have picked this up nice an cheap and want to see what I can learn by working with it. My first question, however, is for help in properly identifying it. It came with a face that says, in a script-type font, Illinois Watch Co. The face is in bad shape and will be my first quest.

The movement has no indentification as such. Serial number 2138723 that would put it to about 1908 by Illinois lists. It is 17J but other than that, no engraving.

I'm guessing that it is an Illinois model 5 from the pics I've seen and would like that confirmed or other identification provided.

I will need a face and the legs are at the 5, 7 and 11 positions. Anyone have one they don't need?

Thanks,
Ralph

Posts: 542 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: February 10, 2010
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Ralph

By the serial number you are correct it is a model 5, grade 184 17 jewel open face lever set made in 1909.

It is shown as coming with a double sunk dial. I show the dial feet would be at 24.5, 36.5, 55.5. The model 4 & 5 16s are shown as having the same dial feet locations in case that helps you find one.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 1369
posted
That all works with what I have figured out so far Tom, thanks. Just what do you mean by the 24.5.... is that the positioning based on seconds on the dial?

The dial is DS, in very band condition and unuseable.

The case, btw, is a Fahys Montauk 20yr with RR also engraved on the case, #19138562 and the number is also on the 'center' part of the case [not the back or bezel - is there a name for this part?] but without the 191. Is this possibly an original case?

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Ralph,
Dial foot positions are always in "minutes" not "hours" Smile
The number 24.5 you referenced would be; 24 and 1/2 minutes.
A case that it sounds like you are describing is called a SB&B [ screw back and bezel ] There are three basic usually stamped parts to those cases, the front bezel, the center section and the back bezel. The back bezel will have the identifying whole serial number and usually the case manufacturers I.D. logo. The front bezel and the center section will usually have the same number or at least the last 4-5-6 same numbers as the back bezel. Thats how you tell if it is an all original case by the matching numbers of each of the three main parts. If one of those numbers don't match the others it would probably be a "made up" case consisting of one or more of these three different basic watch case components Big Grin Hope that will clarify your questions accordingly Big Grin
[ BTW ] The dial you are in need of is a very hard to find dial in good condition. It is called a "getty" dial [ as is that movement ] Generally speaking be prepared to pay upwards of $125-200 for a nice getty dial Eek Eek Eek
regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1369
posted
Thanks for the clarification Buster, helps a lot. And, yes, this case is SB&B. At least I now know that the back bezel and centre section are matched due to the number. The crystal is plastic and presumably was a replacement at some point.

Thanks also for the 'good' $news about the dial. Roll Eyes

I thought, actually, that the Getty watch was a specific movement and not what this watch is. I realize that it has the three finger movement like a Getty but the Getty movement had that engraving on it [or not??] and this one is quite plain.
Ralph

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ralph

It is my understanding that the Illinois watches with only the one exposed winding wheel & the half moon click are all considered Getty movements, they were named after their designer Fred I. Getty.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 1369
posted
Thanks Tom, appreciate the info.
Ralph