Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My Watch Repair Area "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
I’ve finally finished my little workshop. It is only 7.5’ x 11.5’ and used to be a small patio that was closed in. The countertops and shelving are from Home Depot. I also installed an overhead light. It has four Phillips daylight, 48”, 40 watt bulbs. You can never have too much light! I now have a work bench, lathe & cleaning work area. I’m also using a countertop for my computer. The keyboard and mouse will be installed under the countertop when my keyboard/mouse pullout tray arrives.

Anyone else like to share their workshop pictures?

Cleaning table

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Here's another shot of my two cleaning machines.

Cleaning table

IHC Life Member
posted
and a shot of my shelving.

IHC Life Member
posted
My lathe work area.

IHC Life Member
posted
My work bench. It's actually an old drafting table from the 1950's.

IHC Life Member
posted
and finally my computer area.

IHC Life Member
posted
To help keep my lathe from moving around, I put little rubber feet over the metal ones. Just about any hardware store should have them.

Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
Very neat!

Thanks for posting the photos John.

I like to see how others are setup as I am trying to finish up my work area. My temporary space has proven totally un-workable. Wink

Posts: 388 | Location: Wheaton, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: December 20, 2004
posted
I doubt that the photo is going to impress many folks but.... it's mine (sorta)! Smile

Before I ever thought of collecting watches, there was watchmaking. I had retired and bought a 2nd home near a small town. There I met a guy who had a fantastic shop and great knowledge. I bought a Hamilton 974 from him and began to carry it.

Later, I bought a watch on Ebay and it soon stopped. He encouraged me to service it myself and I did so, over a two day period, complete with instruction. I was hooked! After a few more watches, I knew that I couldn't monopolize his work-bench.

I proposed an arrangement where I could set up a bench, in an unused corner and make some regular contributions to supplies and pay for parts. My kind "teacher" would be nearby to teach and to rescue me (which happens often).

We found an old bench and I modified a flourescent ceiling fixture (for it's small size) as a shop lamp. I bought a good set of screw-drivers (get good ones), tweezers and basic tools.

It may not be much but I've worked there two years. It's access to the much larger and more complete shop is a unique privilege and I am very grateful!

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
posted
I'm impressed Pete.Most watch shops I've had the pleasure of hanging out at have workbenches quite similar to yours.Very simple and very practical.Of course I'm a clock guy and you know that most clock repair shops are a case study in disarray.Stuff everywhere.At least mine is.
Thanks for the pictures fellas,everyone's work area looks great.
Happy New Year,Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
posted
We'll I'll admit that happened to me a long time ago. Not with coffee, but with a small glass of wine. I was working on one of *my* pocket watches, pegging out the jewel holes and polishing the cap jewels, when I accidently hit my wine glass and it went over right into the plastic divided container holding the rest of the watch. Needless to say, it was into the cleaning machine for those parts. No harm done. No foods are beverages are allowed in the workshop now Smile
-David

Posts: 58 | Location: Dripping Springs, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: September 29, 2004
posted
John,
Here are a few pictures if my work shop.

Larry

Bench

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
posted
Picture of parts cabinet.

Larry

Parts Cabinet

posted
Last picture.

Larry

Cleaning Machine

IHC Life Member
posted
Lawrence,

Nice work area. Where did you get the great work bench? I'm envious of you and Pete!

posted
I sure like the old watchmaker's benches!

Posts: 58 | Location: Dripping Springs, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: September 29, 2004
posted
I often wonder if the purpose of the tray is to catch those sharp tools when dropped? The frame of my catch tray has numerous screw driver and tweezer dings in it. I'd hate to see what happens when one such tool lands in your lap. Eek

Larry

IHC Member 638
posted
Great work areas everyone! What do you all recommend having for flooring--Carpet, linoleum, wood??

Posts: 166 | Location: Northeastern Ohio USA | Registered: July 21, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Michael,

I wood suggest linoleum or wood. Some tiny parts can hide themselves in carpet. A very srong magnet also helps find the steel parts.

IHC Member 638
posted
Thanks John,
I'm in the process of getting a little work area all together. I've bought some tools, books, two 16s 7j Elgins and just have to work out some details.
This post came at a great time! Thanks again Smile

Posts: 166 | Location: Northeastern Ohio USA | Registered: July 21, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Michael,

Welcome to IHC 185! We enjoy seeing new members come on-board; it broadens our knowledge base. We have a wonderful group of individuals here helping each other in this fantastic hobby.