• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

BANKING PIN QUESTION "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
On my Adams & Perry watch I noticed the banking pins were inset into holes in the banking screws for that purpose.

In other words if a banking pin broke off...all you had to do was replace the pin and not the screw.

In my observations with Lancaster, Keystone or Hamilton pocket watches their banking pin screws were all cut from the same metal as one unit. These companies all followed Adams & Perry.

My question:
Did any other watch fabricators use that procedure for their watches? American or foreign?

Dan Weiss

Posts: 391 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: April 20, 2006
posted
I do not know the answer to your question, but I would guess no. Once mass production got underway, it would be a lot fast in production to have a lathe set up with an off center chuck. Zip and you have your pin cut from the screw.

Drilling a hole off center, driving a pin into it and then trimming the pin is great for repair, but a lot more work in production.

Don

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
posted
Dan,,

Have you checked if both are that way ?? Maybe it was repaired at some point that way.. Kind of like repivoiting..... Big Grin

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
John:

The screws are bluish, the banking pins brass. Looks completely original.

Thanks, Dan

Posts: 391 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: April 20, 2006