• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

how to dissasemble a full plate watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I would like to know a good way to dissasemble a full plate watch , and assemble and what to do and not to do.
I have about 4 watches and i would like to clean and oil them.
Thanks Confused

posted
Dismantling, Cleaning, Oiling and Reassembly have been the subject of many a complete book on watchmaking. It is a skill that can be learned through study and practice. To give complete instruction here could be somewhat of a daunting task.

Generally full plate watches are much harder to reassemble than bridge models due to the fact that all pivots have to line up at once. Assembling the watch upside down with the top plate at the bottom is the method of choice. Add the wheels, line up the center and third wheel pivots with their holes on the pivot plate as you lower it on the assembly, then line up the lever, escape and second wheel pivots with their holes on the pillar plate. Some watches require the barrel to be in place as the pillar plate is lowered. Once all is in place, turn the entire unit over and put in the plate screws.

If you are getting started in this there are a few great resources available at the Library Henry Fried's The Watch repairer's Manual is a good place to start. You can also check out Bob Tascione's videos on cleaning pocket watches.

Mike Miller

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Beyond what Mike said I would add a note of caution in disassembly -- be very careful of the pallet fork and arbor. If you are not careful lifting off the top plate, the bottom balance potence can hit the pallet fork and break a pivot and cause other damage. [As with any time piece, don't forget to let down the mainspring first].

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
I have heard balance potence used before, what exactly does it mean?
I am a member of the chapter in Ottawa, which is 111, but i do not have a member number like the U.S chapters.
Thanks also for advice and help i receive here . Confused

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
The balance potence is really just a second balance cock on the underside of the top plate, for supporting the lower balance pivot. These are usually not removed during cleaning. A potence is any such cock that lies between the plates.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
veritas,

Here is a graphic to go with Jerry's excellent description.

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192
Chapter 185 Watch Repair Moderator

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003