Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 987 // general repair question "Click" to Login or Register 
Hamilton WW Expert

Picture of Gary Cole
posted
I am very new at repairing watches,I have a watch i acquired and am trying to get it running.

I have cleaned the parts and put back together and have a problem with the balance running. I am now recleaning and will peg the upper jewel for the balance

i removed the balance, and pallet fork - when i wind the watch , the train runs fine. However , a watchmaker ( 86 years old ) told me the escape wheel should run and when run down reverse direction and stop. Almost like bouncing back, if i am describing correctly. Is this correct? my escape wheels runs the same direction and stops, no bounce/reverse direction action. Is this ok, or is there something else wrong

thanks

Gary

Posts: 61 | Location: Sarasota, Florida U.S.A. | Registered: May 30, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Yes someone told you right the train shoul be free enough for the escape wheel to have some backlhase..Did you check your mainspring it may be set and lost most of it,s power....

I would put a new mainspring in the watch if you have not already did so.if that don,t help polish the pivots on all the train wheels.

the watch will not run correct or time out right if train is not free.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Hamilton WW Expert

Picture of Gary Cole
posted
it does have a new mainspring, but no blacklash, i will polish the pivots , though the train was free, and the escape wheel had plenty of movement

thanks

gary

Posts: 61 | Location: Sarasota, Florida U.S.A. | Registered: May 30, 2004