• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Cannon Pinion Frozen "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Would anyone have a "trick of the trade" for a frozen, ie rusted I would think, cannon pinion.. A mid 1870's lever fusee..
I have tried gently tapping the center post down with the correct sized punch, gently twisting with the proper key, no movement..

Thanks for any workable tricks here.. Big Grin

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
Try some WD-40 on it. It will probably take a few days of soaking,but should work.

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
In our progression of things that we do when parts are frozen.... heat is always near the top. If you don't have a drier-box, use a hair-drier, set to high. It shouldn't hurt anything in the watch (we use higher heat than that for drying after cleaning). You might get that cannon to expand a bit and break free.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Another neat trick I learned from an old watch maker is Jojoba oil. Soak for about 24 hours. PB Blaster is a good penetrating oil and so is Kroil. I'd try one of the different oils, let it soak, if that doesn't work try Pete's heat suggestion.

Frank "407" Kusumoto

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
posted
Frank, Peter, and Frank,

That sounds like an Attorney firm... Eek Thanks for your suggestions, the soaking for a day did it..
Back together already, runs and most importantly SETS, like new..

John Pavlik

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002