• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin hairspring collet. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi Folks, I am a fairly novice watch repairer. I have spent the best part of over four hours solid, trying to locate the miniscule tapered collet that holds the end of the hairspring on a 16 size, 15 jewel Elgin pocket watch after having to shorten the spring slightly due to slow running.....and I have not succeeded!!!!. Does anyone know the best way this is carried out please?..........thanks, Steve.

Posts: 189 | Location: Kent in the United Kingdom | Registered: May 27, 2010
IHC Member 2067
Picture of Paul Davis
posted
Hello Steve, first off you never shorten a hairspring on those, if it's running slow, something else is wrong with the watch, if you need some help email, I also have replacement hairsprings for those, but then you have to make sure the movement is clean and ready to time out, by either washers of timing screws, but never by cutting down the hairspring...thanks Paul, P&a watch and clock repair.

Paul Davis

Posts: 672 | Location: Missouri in the USA | Registered: May 01, 2015
posted
Hi , my last resort is to "comb " a magnet over the area

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 2067
Picture of Paul Davis
posted
Only thing with the magnet Kevin is that brass doesn't stick to a magnet....

Paul Davis

Posts: 672 | Location: Missouri in the USA | Registered: May 01, 2015
Picture of Billy Kuhn
posted
You could have taken some weight off the balance screws.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Killen, Alabama in the USA | Registered: January 15, 2013