Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Case thread problems "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
I have a nice Waltham 645 that lives in a B&B Royal YGF RR case. The problem is some dipstick apparently tried to pry the screw back off, and made it pretty tough to unscrew it.You can see the spot where they did it, and the threads look OK, but obviously the back must be somewhat distorted.Has anyone else run into this before, and can it be fixed? The case does have some wear, but it still is pretty nice and I think worth repairing.Thanks!

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
If you look at the case center where the back cover seats when screwed on.You might see where the metal was raised,or burred up when the dipstick pried on the case. This will cause uneven pressure on the cover threads when it is screwed on tight. Thus making it almost impossible to unscrew. Shave off the burr until the seat is even again and see if that helps.

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks, Larry, I'll check it again and see if I can do that, I have to try something, it's pretty aggravating that some ***** could be so stupid to do that to a watch case...Thanks again, Ted Brown.

posted
Be sure to lets us know how you make out.

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Great advice Larry!

It is sad to see what some uninformed people do... "If you don't know what you're doing, don't do anything" ...but rather seek out someone with expertise is a good way to go. Someone whose only experience was with a "snap-back" case zigged when they should have zagged.

Ted, if as you mentioned the case is otherwise a nice one, you might consider sending it to Leon Harris as he could perhaps work some of his magic...

Watch Case Repairs? Call Leon Harris!

As Larry said, let us know how it works out.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks Larry & Lindell, I will let you know how it works out!