Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Pierce Chrono from 1950's - Cork Clutch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi
I've been offered a pierce Chrono from the 1950'S but the dealer says that it may need some work on the "cork clutch."

As I am unfamiliar with this term (and don't want to publically show my ignorance) could any of the experts in this forum enlighten me?

Clive

Posts: 264 | Location: Westbrook, United Kingdom | Registered: June 15, 2007
posted
Can't say I'm familiar with the term Clive, was the guy speaking with a stutter by any chance? Wink Big Grin
(Sorry, couldn't resist) Wink

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Hi,

Pierce derailed from proven chronograph mvmt architecture of the period and went his way with its own chrono design which is unique being based on the chrono wheels engaged by up and down lifting actuation better than the planar clutch engagement scheme.

It had some success in the 50' and it was also used by military in some country.

The wheel braking action is performed by a tiny cork diaphram which corrupts by the time.

There are big problems in find spares, none around.

Also no many people is able to understand how the chrono works when not performing or when missing parts.

It would be an excellent exercize to work on someting really different and to test repair skill recurring to inventive solutions if the selling price is actractive...otherwise better to stay away...
rgds

Enzo

Posts: 285 | Location: Rome, Italy | Registered: May 19, 2005
posted
Enzo

THank you for sharing your knowledge - much appreciated.

I will try to steer clear of it, but I have a soft spot for Chrono's. And I am always up for a challenge.

Hopefully I will not be tempted given the advice you have given.

Clive

posted
The weird Pierce chrono architecture...

posted
Enzo
I've "accidently" ended up with one of these. It seems complete but need a service.

Do you know of a book explaining the action?

Clive

posted
Clive,

I am not sure a bulletin exists, there is a CD around (internet) that has different chrono datasheets, maybe it is in there...., what sort of service it needs? because if it a normal overhaul then with a bit of caution and by taking steps' pics in dismantling it would help in putting back together.
Adjusting the regulating screws is most critical...you must understand their functions before all....
rgds

Enzo

posted
Thanks Enzo

Yes I could probably do it with caution, looks like it just needs a good clean.

I just quite like reading about it beforehand so if there was something available that would be useful.

Clive

posted
Hi Clive

you may look at this

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/b...t&2&2uswk&Pierce_134

and enquiry at

http://www.pierce1883.com/WELCOME/welcome.html

to see if they can help...

rgds

Enzo

posted
Thanks Enzo

I've also found an explanation in "Chronograph Wristwatches To stop time" by Gerd-R Lang and Reinhard Meis

Clive

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Clive,
You might want to contact the AWCI. They have many many technical documents and supply them via email. It's a nice looking movment.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003