Hamilton Help Needed "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 229
posted
Hi Folks....need some advice from you Hamilton
experts....I getting ready to disassemble a 12s
grade 912 17j Secometer movement. How do I pull
the small fragile looking seconds dial without
bending or damaging it?

Posts: 148 | Location: Somerville, New Jersey USA | Registered: November 28, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
CAREFULLY TONY, VERY CAREFULLY...

I don't hold myself out to be an expert on watch repair, but here's what I can tell you. The Secometer dial came on one particular grade, your 912 as factory available but was a jeweler-installed option as it were for any other Hamilton 12-size.

Therefore you'll find the seconds disc goes on in the same manner as a conventional second hand. It just pushes on. I would think that once the dial feet are loose for sure, then something thin, strong and flat such as a credit card might be of help to you.

But let's see what others come up with!

Lindell

Smile

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 229
posted
Well, I cut 2 short pieces of mainspring...shaped them ...and used them as 2 tiny pry bars...held my breath...and...that little Secometer Dial popped right off. Now, I have to find a Roller Jewel and...I know I'm reaching here...But...a nice used or NOS Dial...Any body???

Posts: 148 | Location: Somerville, New Jersey USA | Registered: November 28, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
The roller jewel should not be a problem as parts are pretty readily available for Hamiltons. Check with Brian Cavanaugh at pwpartsetc@pwatch.com for that one.

On your dial question, I'm a little confused. What sorts of problems are you having with the Secometer Dial that came on it?

Finding a better or NOS dial of the Secometer design could be a tall order. On the other hand, a standard dial should be fairly easy to locate.

Lindell

Smile

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Thanks Lindell, I should be able to help Tony with the jewel.

Tony, if your dial is just faded or scratched, you could send it out to be redone.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Member 229
posted
OK...Sorry for the confusion...

The SECOMETER DIAL is in good shape on this 912...I successfully removed it and hopefully it will go back on without a problem...the larger PW Dial is metal and in bad shape...it has that little window in it which exposes a small section of the little secometer dial indication (a seconds hand fuction.)

Since the roller jewel is readily available...I'll see if I can locate one...Or two locally..those little guys have a mind of their own....when they are in the jaws of a tweezer...Boy all this help is great thanks guys.