Internet Horology Club 185
Mainspring punch

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426047761/m/8503979187

March 23, 2014, 15:49
Peter Clare
Mainspring punch
Hi, has anyone had any experience using one of these?

I have managed to break off the arbor end of a mainspring and am considering trying to re-hole it.

Have consulted my references but not much info on putting holes in that end of the mainspring.

Regards

Peter in Oz
March 24, 2014, 02:25
Paul D. Trombley
The Arbor end is very soft for a short length. I have gotten away with re-punching a couple... but it is not for the faint of heart.

It's quite frankly, one of those things no one told me I could not do... so I figured out how to make it happen with the tool I had at hand.

The tool is technically too big for working on this end of the spring, but I was able to coax the tiny coil around the anvil portion of the punching pliers and get a decent hole punched... then did some surgical clean up work with jeweler files.

What's the worst that can happen... 911 - anyone got a replacement for sale???

Having a pair of the Waltham spring recoiling (reshaping) pliers was priceless for restoring the shape of the coiled end so it would hook up on the arbor again.
March 24, 2014, 12:18
Patrick Wallin
Don't quote me on this but I believe Henry Fried's book shows how to use them.
March 24, 2014, 15:47
Peter Clare
Thanks gents.
I have feelers out for a replacement but no bites yet - I think it may not be a common size. May be more of a clock size spring.

Patrick, I had a look at Fried and De Carle but they only talk about working on the other end.

If worse come to worst I'll give punching a go - it can't get any worse that it is now...

I have an eye on some punches on the bay, and still looking for those pliers, although I figure I could probably make a pair.

Regards
Peter in Oz