Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Mainspring punch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1691
posted
Hi, has anyone had any experience using one of these?

I have managed to break off the arbor end of a mainspring and am considering trying to re-hole it.

Have consulted my references but not much info on putting holes in that end of the mainspring.

Regards

Peter in Oz

Posts: 259 | Location: Melbourne in Australia | Registered: March 19, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
The Arbor end is very soft for a short length. I have gotten away with re-punching a couple... but it is not for the faint of heart.

It's quite frankly, one of those things no one told me I could not do... so I figured out how to make it happen with the tool I had at hand.

The tool is technically too big for working on this end of the spring, but I was able to coax the tiny coil around the anvil portion of the punching pliers and get a decent hole punched... then did some surgical clean up work with jeweler files.

What's the worst that can happen... 911 - anyone got a replacement for sale???

Having a pair of the Waltham spring recoiling (reshaping) pliers was priceless for restoring the shape of the coiled end so it would hook up on the arbor again.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Don't quote me on this but I believe Henry Fried's book shows how to use them.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 1691
posted
Thanks gents.
I have feelers out for a replacement but no bites yet - I think it may not be a common size. May be more of a clock size spring.

Patrick, I had a look at Fried and De Carle but they only talk about working on the other end.

If worse come to worst I'll give punching a go - it can't get any worse that it is now...

I have an eye on some punches on the bay, and still looking for those pliers, although I figure I could probably make a pair.

Regards
Peter in Oz

Posts: 259 | Location: Melbourne in Australia | Registered: March 19, 2012