Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

can anyone ID this tool? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi Everyone, todd here
i got this strange looking tool in a box of assorted stuff i bought. it is marked elgin and i don't have a clue what it is.

Posts: 290 | Location: Montreal in Canada | Registered: January 11, 2015
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
here is a closeup of the business end of the tool
thanks
todd

IHC Member 1892
posted
Hi Todd. That is a"Dura Power Shock Saver Spring Inserting and Removing Tool" according to the label on the tube where my identical tool lives. I have never used mine but i suspect if we had a 50's/60's Elgin WW we would be able to use it.

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
well thank you John,
that didn't make any sense to me at all.
i thought it was a cheapo screw undercutter.
how would you use this on a spring?
Todd

IHC Member 1892
posted
Hi Todd: I think they are for removing and replacing the cap jewel spring, probably on the balance jewel. As I said earlier I have never used mine. There are lots of them on evil-bay.
I also have another similar one but with a small fork on the end marked Elgin "One piece Regulator Pin Adjustment Wrench". I think Elgin made a lot of these special tools for there watches at various times. I bet some of the avid Elgin collectors out there could enlighten us if the see this.

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
thanks John, i am now curious and will try to research this a bit.
Todd

posted
The basic concept of many of the shock absorbing springs is that you rotate them one way in the setting to reach notches that allow hinging up or removal of the spring. Rotate the other way, away from the notches, and the spring is locked into place to hold the jewel. A dedicated tool can make rotating the tiny spring easier. Or you can use a #5 tweezers or small probe.

Posts: 222 | Location: Alabama in the USA | Registered: June 12, 2011
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
thank you very much Michael. now it makes sense.
Todd