Internet Horology Club 185
992 makes odd pinging noise when tilted from vertical

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426047761/m/8503907487

February 27, 2015, 14:25
Paul D. Trombley
992 makes odd pinging noise when tilted from vertical
Of all the odd ball things for a watch to do... this one holds .0 to .2ms beat error in 6 postions and runs 1 beat either side of 18000 in all six postions...

But, if I have the watch stem up and am leaning it forward to lay it face down... it makes a pinging noise that for the life of me sounds like it is turning the pallet fork in to a tuning fork.

It is repeatable, does not affect the timing or smooth operation of the watch, but is annoying as can be.

It's not real loud, probably not as loud as the click toc of the pallet arm hitting the banking pins.
February 27, 2015, 18:05
William D. White
Paul,

I have a Bunn Special that does the same thing. It's the hairspring acting as a tiny gong and like yours, it's more audible in one position. I think it's a sound of good mechanical health because my watch is very accurate too.

William
February 27, 2015, 19:26
Peter Kaszubski
I have same sounds on most eta6498 movements
drove me nuts till I time it and found it running with in few sec, its music to my ears now.
February 27, 2015, 21:37
Buster Beck
Generally I change from "regular" at that time and burn "premium" for a week and then go back to "regular". Works well for me and gets rid of that "low octane ping". Bad gas and high compression engines just don't mix.

regards,
bb
February 27, 2015, 22:20
Peter Kaszubski
good one Buster lol
February 28, 2015, 01:10
Paul D. Trombley
Buster, you made me laugh... I'm generally wound pretty tight... it's nice to see laugh.

William, That makes a lot of sense... and the gong analogy perfectly describes the way the tone behaves.
February 28, 2015, 13:50
David Abbe
Tune the TV to a Nascar race. Pallet forks are actually pretty good tuning forks. When the ping becomes a "clunk" then you may have to worry.