WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

992 makes odd pinging noise when tilted from vertical "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1736
posted
Of all the odd ball things for a watch to do... this one holds .0 to .2ms beat error in 6 postions and runs 1 beat either side of 18000 in all six postions...

But, if I have the watch stem up and am leaning it forward to lay it face down... it makes a pinging noise that for the life of me sounds like it is turning the pallet fork in to a tuning fork.

It is repeatable, does not affect the timing or smooth operation of the watch, but is annoying as can be.

It's not real loud, probably not as loud as the click toc of the pallet arm hitting the banking pins.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Paul,

I have a Bunn Special that does the same thing. It's the hairspring acting as a tiny gong and like yours, it's more audible in one position. I think it's a sound of good mechanical health because my watch is very accurate too.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
I have same sounds on most eta6498 movements
drove me nuts till I time it and found it running with in few sec, its music to my ears now.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Generally I change from "regular" at that time and burn "premium" for a week and then go back to "regular". Works well for me and gets rid of that "low octane ping". Bad gas and high compression engines just don't mix.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
good one Buster lol

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1736
posted
Buster, you made me laugh... I'm generally wound pretty tight... it's nice to see laugh.

William, That makes a lot of sense... and the gong analogy perfectly describes the way the tone behaves.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Tune the TV to a Nascar race. Pallet forks are actually pretty good tuning forks. When the ping becomes a "clunk" then you may have to worry.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007