• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Need Advice "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Steve or anyone so inclined to answer this question. How do I get a MS barrel apart on a Waltham 625. It is a going barrell and I have tried to get the outer barrel off in the normal way and tried to push the arbor out and tried to pry off the capgear.
Also a different question. I need some staffs for Lancasters and none of the old assortments list them. Do Hamilton SR staffs work?
Thanks in advance

Jim Haney

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Jim,
You mentioned that the movement was a Grade 625. Any chance that it is a Grade 645? Some of these movements in either 19 or 21 jewels used a jeweled barrel, which comes apart differently than the non-jeweled versions. You cannot see the jewels until the mainspring assemble is taken apart. Anyway, if it is jeweled try this:
Reattach the winding wheel to the barrel arbor. Screw it in tight.
Take a wide rubber band and wrap it around the mainspring barrel (do not hold the arbor gear).
Holding the barrel tight with the rubber band, unscrew the winding wheel.
What should happen is that the small lower pivot that fits into the barrel from the bottom will unscrew from the upper portion of the arbor.
Once this lower pivot is removed, the upper part of the center arbor will pull out from the top.

Reassembly is the reverse of the above procedure.
Let us know how you make out.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
Hi Jim,

In the sketch below, figure "C" is a cross-sectional view of a Waltham "Safety Barrel," which in the jeweled versions, comes apart exactly as Ed described. The sketch below shows the non-jeweled version, but in the jeweled version, the lower pivot of the barrel arbor unscrews from the rest of the arbor, and releases the steel part of the barrel.

As for the Lancaster staffs, I have no idea where you'd be able to find any of those. I'm about 99.9% sure that Hamilton staffs won't work, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to measure one and see.........

As always, I hope this helps!

========================

Steve Maddox
President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
posted
Ed and Steve,
It is always so easy when you know how.It reminds me of a magician. When he shows you how he did the trick it all seems so easy! I have done repairs for over 5 years and hadn't had to get into the barrel on a Waltham 645 before and I almost ruined it because I didn't know how to open it.
Many Thanks.

Jim Haney

Watch Repair Expert
posted
While everyone I've ever known has simply used the ratchet wheel for unscrewing Waltham jeweled safety barrels, believe it or not, Waltham used to offer a special tool for that purpose.

I've never seen an actual example, but I'm sure someone out there probably has one. Perhaps Wynter, or some other advanced tool collector will post an image of one........

====================

SM

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002