Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Staff for Elgin Grade 451 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi Folks,

I've recently bought a 12s Lord Elgin, 19j, 8 adj with, according to the Elgin database, a 451 movement. It has a two piece roller on a broken staff and I assumed that a Cat 4191 staff might do the trick. I don't have a pivot guage but a size 9 pivot (the largest listed in my cabinet) miked up as near as I could tell to the mangled original. When fitted up the end shake was OK but side shake was VERY sloppy. The jewels look good and I can only suppose that, assuming I've chosen the correct staff type in the first place, there must be a larger pivot available. Unfortunately, my Elgin Catalogue is too old to show the 451 and my Swigart jumps from Gde 392 straight to 492! Does anyone know if larger pivots are available?

PS - I haven't attempted to re-fit the rollers and check their fit/alignment yet so it may even be the wrong staff!!!

Many thanks,

Dick

Posts: 57 | Location: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: January 27, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Dick

Have not found much info for you, the only thing I found is the staff you have 4191 is for two piece double roller 12s 10th model 19-23J but for pivot size it is listed as assorted. So I am guessing it came in different pivot sizes.

It is the only one I see listed for a two piece double roller.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I see where dashto.com has two elgin staffs for sell, listed as a 4191 & also a 4191C. He doesn't explain the difference but that is about all I can find.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Hi Tom,

Many thanks for your efforts! I managed to find a couple of pivot 9 jewels and the balance now runs true and smooth. Maybe the 4191C is a larger pivot size and that was the original fitting? I've still got to fit up the rollers so I may come unstuck yet!

Thanks again,

Dick

Posts: 57 | Location: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: January 27, 2008