• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Removing watch stem on Seiko quartz. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I need to remove the stems, 2 on a seiko quartz as the movement is very dirty.I can see on the movement where it says push, to detach the stem from the movement.I have tried a sideways push and a downward push and can,t seem to get it.Any sugestions?
I have noted this movement has been exposed to a fair amount of moisture and it may not work after battery is installed.
Any tips or sugestions are greatly apreciated. Smile

posted
I tried several things to remove the stem and it did not work.
The watch battery was dead so i replaced it and it is not working.I used tweezers and contacted the + on the battery to the AC and still not working.I know little about quartz except this watch got alot of moisture in it and probaly damaged it.
I did wish i had received a answer to my posting but i guess the wrist watch guys are busy or did not see it.

posted
Kevin,

Wish I knew more about the quartz Seiko also. But most of these do have a springed detent. So my guess is that the downward push of the stem detent is what needs to be done. I usually do this with the tips of the tweezers in one hand and pull out the stem with the other. Do you know what the calibre of the movement is? There should be two numbers on the case-back separated by a dash. The first being the movement calibre, the second being the case model.

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Kevin,
I am slowly trying to learn about quartz watches (very slowly since I'm still learning about manual wind watches Smile). Does the Seiko have a small train bridge in the center of the movement? If so, you might be able to remove the bridge and inspect the rotor and three wheels for dirt, gunk, etc. The rotor has magnets, of course, so you have to be careful. It took me some doing to get the wheels and rotor back and the bridge on, for a pocket watch. BUT -- I am a novice at the quartz watches, so I hope some experts will chime in so we can all learn! Let us know how it goes.
Pete

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Kevin,

Very few if any watch repair professionals would consider this project worthwhile.

Sounds like dampness did a lot of damage. There are aerosol cleaners to clean the movement. Some disassembly is involved and there are a number of careful precautions to follow. Whether you'd ultimately be successful is anybody's guess, but from your description the chances are very slim.

We live in a world of throw-away products. The best route out of your situation is probably to acquire a replacement movement. They are relatively inexpensive and the watch supply houses have them in stock for immediate delivery. In removing the junk movement you then carefully break out the old stem because the new movement comes with a stem. You then fit the new stem to the movement and case combination.

This may not be the answer you wanted to hear but it might be the best way to go.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hello Peter, Mike and Lindell.
The very little i know about quartz watches, when i looked at the movement i pretty much guessed it was finished.
It was a relative,s watch and was not a very valuable movememt.I have given up on it and the watch may be returned to me if it does i will take it from there.That i why i like mechanical watches the best.At least they are fixable.I have a Cardinal which has a jewelled movement, quartz but at least i think that is a better watch and a more fixable movement.
Yes things are to disposable now days.

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Kevin,
In quartz analog movements, after testing the old battery or replacing the old battery with new, you should use a tester to see if the coil is functioning or for short circuits etc... If there is nothing wrong with the electronic part, you know that there is something wrong with the motion works, gear train, hands, etc... Some testers have the ability to release clogged gear trains by using magnetism. They make aerosol sprays specifically for cleaning quartz watches, but don't ever use them on Accutrons. If there is something wrong with the coil, I would think most repairers would replace the movement. You can buy them at suppliers like Casker and most of the time they are cheap. If the identical movement is not available, you can order one of the same size or a completely different size and use a compound made by K@D that fills in the space between the watchcase and the movement.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
Kevin
When removing the stem from a Seiko watch you must first align the detent properly. Looking into the hole where it says push, pull the setting stem out to the calendar set position, or all the way to the setting position until you see a small dimple in the detent. Place your tweezers or pin into this dimple, push straight down and the stem should come out easily. These can sometimes be repaired if the movement is obsolete and you can not find another one to fit case but as you have been advised it is not practical if a replacement movement can be found. They can be cleaned with the Plasticlean aerosol spray but you have to remove the hands, dial, and any calendar disks as the spray will harm the paint on them. Sometimes you can get them started with a shot of compressed air from an aerosol can like is used on computers. Quartz movements are great long as they work but when one fails you just have to throw them out or do what you have to do the hard way to salvage them. Moisture and corrosion from a leaky battery in the electronic circuits are mostly impossible to repair.

Posts: 13 | Location: Danville, Arkansas U.S.A. | Registered: June 05, 2004
posted
Thanks guys if this watch comes back to me i will take all information i have gained so far and put it to use.I apreciate the help and information always given by ch 185 members. Smile