Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

BW Raymond question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
I have a 1919 B.W. Rayomond 19 jewel pocket watch and have a question about its regulator. It is adjusted as far as it will go towards the F, but it loses one minute per hour. Is this a problem with the balance wheel, hairspring,...? I would think that the fix for this is beyond a good cleaning and adjustment due to the position of the regulator. I am a novice collector, just acquired this watch, and would appreciate any and all advice.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
Scott,

Do you know when the watch was last serviced and by whom?
Is the loss rate consistant or does it loose less time when fully wound then when the mainspring is run down?
How does the hairspring look? Is it corroded at all? How is the ballance motion?

I have found that with a good cleaning sometimes a loss rate such as that will be corrected.

More details please.

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter 23
Chapter 185 Finance VP
God Bless America

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Aaron,
Here is the story on the watch. I got it on ebay from Hess Fine Art. Their description states that the movement "runs strong and keeps good time." I don't think they serviced it. The hairspring appears to have no corrosion on it(without the aid of a loupe). The balance motion looks good and constant. The watch loses time with the mainspring fully wound, and loses it consistantly. It may need a good cleaning. Should it cause concern that this watch's regulator is adjusted as far as it will go? I get the feeling that it's not a good sign.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
Scott,

The regulator set at the fast position could have just been someone trying to compensate for a dirty watch. As the oil started to gum up it ran progresively slower so they adjusted it faster and faster. Have the watch serviced if you are going to use it and I'de bet that in order to get it to keep time you will have to adjust the regulator slower.

Of course without looking at the watch this is all a guess but it should get you in the right direction.

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter 23
Chapter 185 Finance VP
God Bless America

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Scott,

We're all delighted to have you with us in Chapter 185. You'll find we're a friendly group of guys and gals who are really excited about horology and eager to help you in any way we can.

Aaron and I both have a lot of respect for the simple and rugged 19-jewel workhorse movements such as yours. Although there are several things that could cause the problems you are experiencing, what you describe is typical of a watch in severe need of service. I agree with Aaron and would not attempt any adjustments or corrections at this point. Frankly I would not even run the watch, as it may be dry with metal-to-metal scuffing taking place.

The seller from whom you purchased your watch is reputable, but as you found no representation was made about when it was last serviced. Most of their items are sold in "as found" condition, they just buy and sell a lot of watches. Without specific information offered to the contrary, my bet is it has not been serviced in some time and is in need service right now.

Running a watch that needs servicing is like trying to drive your car with all four tires flat. Hopefully no one has messed with balance wheel screws or anything of that nature. I strongly recommend to you the first and best step when you buy any watch for your collection is to have a qualified watchmaker thoroughly clean and inspect then service the movement completely.

If you have a watchmaker in your area that you feel comfortable with, pay him a visit and see if you are able to develop a friendly working relationship. Make sure your watchmaker uses synthetic lubricants. There are several of our members who service watches professionally and if you check our Chapter 185 Business Directory you'll find listings for two of the best. I can personally recommend both of them.

You may want to consider repairs yourself eventually, but if you do start with a simple movement and just start taking it apart over and over. You'll discover something new each time and you'll even find ways to actually make improvements. Aaron recently took that plunge and so have several others. You'll find a lot of support here!

Hope this helps, and again Scott... WELCOME ABOARD!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Lindell and Aaron,
Thanks to both of you for the advice. I will have this watch cleaned and serviced. I recently bought the Tacione course and some nice tools. I am determined to get my feet wet with this, but all my watches are too nice for a learning experience. Is there a particular movement you suggest for a beginner to practice on?

posted
Scott,

Hold on before you send your Raymond anywhere. I have a dirty but running 16s 7j Elgin movement I learned on. It is very similar to your BWR. I can send it to you and you can practice on it. I learned on that watch and then did a 992 that needed alot of balance work, It runs great now. You can do it! If you run into any problems you can get the help right here.

For the Elgin, you pay the postage and I'll send it off.

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter 23
Chapter 185 Finance VP
God Bless America

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Aaron,
I'd like to accept your offer. Just let me know where to send the money. I appreciate the opportunity.

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Aaron,

That's a very kind and generous offer.

May I make a suggestion? Write your name & IHC number on the back of the dial. When Scott is finished with it, he can do the same before sending it on to the next member. This could become an historical watch! I will volunteer replacement parts, when needed.

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192
Chapter 185 Watch Repair Moderator

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
Scott, Email me your address and I'll send it right out.

Better yet, pick up a new IHC tee shirt for a low low 12.00$ and I'll put it in the same package. Big Grin

Gotta push our new shirts. Big Grin

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter 23
Chapter 185 Finance VP
God Bless America

posted
John,

Now thats an idea. I need to hunt around for a metal dial for it. Big Grin

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter 23
Chapter 185 Finance VP
God Bless America

IHC Life Member
posted
Aaron,

A metal dial would be perfect. Names can be etched for a more permanent record. I'll check my stash also.

I may even have an old base metal case for it. Does it have the case screws?

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772

posted
John,

Yep, I got the case screws and hands. No metal dials though.

Hey, Chapter 75 this Sunday. Are you up for lunch? Jenny cant make it this time but I can. Let me know.

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter 23
Chapter 185 Finance VP
God Bless America

IHC Life Member
posted
Aaron,

Hope you don't mind but I've already made your movement a part of the offical IHC 185 Practice Watch. I've got a 16s case and metal dial for it. The dial feet locations are 19, 36 and 55 minutes.

I'll check with the wife about Sunday. Church will be over around 11:30 so we could be there by around 12:45 'ish. I will let you know what the boss says! Smile

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772

posted
welcome to Chapter 185.
yes i agre the people here are very freindly and helpful.I have posted a fair bit and i always get help, definitely a great place for a novice like me also.I am learning alot from this site and practicing on my own too.
Lindell is a great man to talk to and very honest and polite.
Like i said before great site and a great group of people here .

Kevin West

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Thanks Kevin!

There really are some great guys and gals here!

Everyone make Kevin feel at home. Kevin joined the NAWCC to be a part of this chapter. He is so new we don't even have his NAWCC Member Number as yet, but he's already bought a watch in the Chapter 185 Auction. Good work!

Your posts are great Kevin! Glad you are enjoying Chapter 185 my friend. We're all glad to have you aboard.

Enjoy the ride!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Aaron,
I emailed my address. Just let me know how you want the shipping and shirt money. I am really looking forward to being a part of this.
Thanks,
Scott

posted
Scott,

Here are the details on the shirts.

"CLICK" THESE WORDS TO BUY CHAPTER 185 SHIRTS

I'll get the watch off Monday morning.

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Finance VP
God Bless America

IHC Life Member
posted
Scott,

Email your address to me and I will get the case and dial out to you. I installed a new glass crystal for it last night.

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Aaron,Lindell, and John,
I am just posting to let everyone know that the the IHC watch movement has arrived by mail in A-1 condition along with the very smart IHC shirt. I'll start working with it this weekend and If any questions come up I'll be sure to post them. I'll take good care of it in anticipatiion of sending it off to the next IHC member. I'll post again when the case arrives.
Thanks Again,
Scott Cerullo
cerullo34@aol.com