Internet Horology Club 185
Dial cleaning

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426047761/m/8103929487

March 21, 2015, 12:55
Mario DeRogatis
Dial cleaning
Anyone have a good method for cleaning a metal dial?
March 21, 2015, 13:43
Todd Verriere
hi Mario,
i just finished cleaning a metal dial by soaking it in mean green overnight. worked very well with no fading of the numbers.
i am a newcomer at this and i am sure someone with more experience may have a better method.
todd

March 21, 2015, 17:11
Mike Haig
Hi Todd, I'm from the UK.

Do you have a before picture of your dial and what is Mean Green?

Mike
March 22, 2015, 00:47
Todd Verriere
hi Mike,
i'm sorry i didn't take a before pic, but it looked like heck.
Mean Green is a common, but good quality cleaner degreaser that can be purchased at any grocery here.
i'm sure you could find a good substitute there. just stay away from anything with bleaching agents.
i use harsher methods for porcelain dials but these methods would likely fade or completely destroy the finish on a metal dial.
keep in mind that i am new to this and my limited knowledge is based on experimentation and extensive reading.
todd

March 22, 2015, 02:00
Mike Haig
Thanks a lot Todd

Mike
March 22, 2015, 11:00
Mario DeRogatis
Todd, did your dial lose any color from the solution. I don't suppose you have a picture before. My dial needs a light cleaning and has a design on it as well as being two tone. I would post a picture but not sure how to reduce the size of the file.
March 22, 2015, 11:29
Todd Verriere
hi Mario,
sorry i don't have a before pic.
before cleaning it was very grimey and dull. had two stains on it over 9 and 12.
i didn't even realize it was a gold fleck finish.
afterwards it looks amazing, the pic doesn't do it justice, it literally glows. no fading at all.
please keep in mind your dial may be more delicate than this one was.
perhaps use a diluted solution and soak for short periods of time and checking results.
others on the site with more experience will surely have other methods.
i really don't want to lead you into damaging your dial.
let me know how things turn out.
todd
March 22, 2015, 18:27
Mike Haig
Hello again Todd, can you tell me what the ingredients are in mean green. I may be able to find something similar over here.
March 22, 2015, 20:08
Todd Verriere
i'm sorry Mike, in Canada it is not required for companies to list the ingredients on a product.
so i have no idea what is in it.
a lot of people swear by comet bleach free bathroom cleaner. do you have that in the old world?
todd,
from the colonies.
March 23, 2015, 00:22
Lorne Wasylishen
Mike, this is the data sheet for Mean Green .
March 23, 2015, 03:28
Mike Haig
Thanks Todd and Lorne.Most helpful.

I will have to go and find a chemist to translate it for me !!!!

Mike, in the old world