• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Dial cleaning "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Anyone have a good method for cleaning a metal dial?

Posts: 100 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: April 10, 2013
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi Mario,
i just finished cleaning a metal dial by soaking it in mean green overnight. worked very well with no fading of the numbers.
i am a newcomer at this and i am sure someone with more experience may have a better method.
todd

Posts: 290 | Location: Montreal in Canada | Registered: January 11, 2015
IHC Member 1902
posted
Hi Todd, I'm from the UK.

Do you have a before picture of your dial and what is Mean Green?

Mike

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi Mike,
i'm sorry i didn't take a before pic, but it looked like heck.
Mean Green is a common, but good quality cleaner degreaser that can be purchased at any grocery here.
i'm sure you could find a good substitute there. just stay away from anything with bleaching agents.
i use harsher methods for porcelain dials but these methods would likely fade or completely destroy the finish on a metal dial.
keep in mind that i am new to this and my limited knowledge is based on experimentation and extensive reading.
todd

IHC Member 1902
posted
Thanks a lot Todd

Mike

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013
posted
Todd, did your dial lose any color from the solution. I don't suppose you have a picture before. My dial needs a light cleaning and has a design on it as well as being two tone. I would post a picture but not sure how to reduce the size of the file.

Posts: 100 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: April 10, 2013
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi Mario,
sorry i don't have a before pic.
before cleaning it was very grimey and dull. had two stains on it over 9 and 12.
i didn't even realize it was a gold fleck finish.
afterwards it looks amazing, the pic doesn't do it justice, it literally glows. no fading at all.
please keep in mind your dial may be more delicate than this one was.
perhaps use a diluted solution and soak for short periods of time and checking results.
others on the site with more experience will surely have other methods.
i really don't want to lead you into damaging your dial.
let me know how things turn out.
todd

IHC Member 1902
posted
Hello again Todd, can you tell me what the ingredients are in mean green. I may be able to find something similar over here.

Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
i'm sorry Mike, in Canada it is not required for companies to list the ingredients on a product.
so i have no idea what is in it.
a lot of people swear by comet bleach free bathroom cleaner. do you have that in the old world?
todd,
from the colonies.

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Mike, this is the data sheet for Mean Green .

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1902
posted
Thanks Todd and Lorne.Most helpful.

I will have to go and find a chemist to translate it for me !!!!

Mike, in the old world