Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

"new old stock " mainsprings. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephen L. Russell
posted
I finally got around to installing the mainspring in my Burlington special.It ran great for 10 min or so...then a little "bang"..the spring had shattered in 4 or 5 different places.

bummer.

Anyone else ever had problems with old stock?

this spring arrived with a layer of rust so I was concerned from the start.

Still those were a very happy ten minutes this being my first mainspring replacement. Wink

Posts: 849 | Location: Victoria, British Columbia Canada | Registered: December 05, 2003
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
I would go with the white alloy replacements if I were purchasing mainsprings and use the old blue steel only if I had them on hand and had plenty of time for changing them or if there was no white alloy equivalent.

Smile

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
posted
I had a similar experience but can,t remember if it was a allo or a blue spring.When i released the retainer it broke next to the t end.It also had some corrosion on it.

Kevin "Veritas" West

Watch Repair Expert
posted
It's amazing the regularity with which some topics repeat........

mainspring trouble..:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=3206049661&f=1086047761&m=951005075

mainspring woes:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=3206049661&f=3426047761&m=754009026

Perhaps I simply wasn't clear enough in my several previous replies. When I repeatedly mentioned "WHITE ALLOY," I was referring to springs that are made from a colorless mixture of several different metals; they don't rust, they don't "set," they don't crystallize, and they seldom break.

Is there another way I could describe "WHITE ALLOY" and be more clear, or if not, where exactly have I been going wrong in my attempt to offer sound advice?

=================

Steve Maddox
Past President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
As you have seen, if there is any rust on a mainspring don't use it.

In using N.O.S. blue steel springs over the years I have noticed a few things to watch out for. In addition to rust, the lubricant on these springs is often sticky and no good at all. Let the spring down and wipe it clean with fresh clock oil. After that, the old springs often do the job quite well.

That being said, a fresh white alloy spring is of higher quality than an antique N.O.S. blue steel one.

Best regards,

Greg Crockett

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
I need a pile of mainsprings. Who is the best supplier of "White Alloy" mainsprings that you dont have to order a ton from?

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Steve,

I asked around for a white alloy spring and was unable to find one.I do not intentionally ignore good advice.I took what I could get,as i would prefer to try to get a watch going with what is available as to just staring at it waiting for divine intervention to get it running.

If I can not find an white alloy spring again..I will use a old stock and do as Greg has suggested.

By the by,its not a repeat...its an update.

Posts: 849 | Location: Victoria, British Columbia Canada | Registered: December 05, 2003
posted
Aaron and Stephen,

I have been ordering mainsprings from Jules Borel and Co for a while. They offer White-a-loy and Security unbreakable mainsprings of the best quality and have tons to choose from (6 pages worth)

Here's a link to their web-site.

Jules Borel and Co

You have to create an account and log in to the site to get to all of the products, but it's worth it. Phone in your first order and they will set up your credit info then you can order on-line.

Mike Miller

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
Stephen,

There are some watches for which white alloy mainsprings are not available, but I can't think of any American watches produced in the 20th century that fall into that category (I also can't think of any horological supply house that doesn't carry white alloy mainsprings).

S. LaRose offers a variety of complete assortments of white alloy mainsprings for various American brands, such as Waltham, Elgin, Illinois, Hamilton, etc. In my Illinois assortment, the following springs are provided to fit 16s models:

#47313 (refill #40)
#47315 (refill #41)
#47309 (refill #42)
#47333 (refill #43)
#47316 (refill #44)

In addition to the Illinois numbers above, the E & J Swigart "Illustrated Manual of American Watch Movements," provides the following numbers for 16s Illinois mainsprings: #47317 (4th & 5th models), #47316 (6th, 7th, 8th, & 9th models), #47321 (22.5 inches, 6th, 7th, 8th, & 9th models), #47330 (10th model - 23j Sangamo Special), #47327 (11th & 12th models), #47309 (13th, 14th, and 15th models).

Perhaps some of the numbers above will be of assistance. (My recommendation for your particular watch would be #47313, size
18 x 5 x 20 1/2.)

====================

SM

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
posted
Thanks Steve,

I may have more luck with a part number.

posted
I use new/old stock blue steel springs as replacements all of the time. Why? Because I have them. I have most sizes in my stock and can't see spending money on something that I have. Do some ever break soon after puting one in? Yes! I just put in another. I have others that I put in 10-15 years ago that are still just fine.

Call me a bottom feeder

Tom

posted
Hey Tom..

If I had a box of them I too would put them in untill the cows come home. Wink

Since I don't I am going to take another stab at getting a white alloy spring.

My favorite fresh water fish is a bottom feeder Big Grin