Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

jewel mounting "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
I have a mounted pivot jewel that is a tad too big to go into the hole on the balance cock.The jewel is part of a selection I ordered from Larose. They where marked to fit the Elgin movements.My question is,how do I go about removing the excess brass to make the fit. Do I use a lathe, if so, what type of chuck would work, as the excess is on the whole diameter, not on the shoulder of the mounting. Any suggestions appreciated

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Frank,
You really need a set of jewel chucks here. These chucks have an adjustable (for depth) center so that the jewel setting will fit flat in the chuck with any amount exposed that you desire. If the entire outside diameter is constant, mount the setting about halfway in and reduce the diameter as needed. Then reverse the setting in the chuck so that just a little bit of the reduced diameter is exposed. Cut the setting down until it is flush with the first half.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Hi Ed
Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that was the reply that was going to come up. I have been trying to snag a set, but sofar, no luck. Well I guess I'll have to get real serious about acquiring a set. Thanks again Ed.

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Frank,
Dashto.com usally has them.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
Scott
Thanks for the tip. I will check his site out.

Frank

posted
This is a little late, but I just got around to doing the job.
Ed, those jeweling chucks worked out great. I found the one I needed, out of the set I bought. I was able to place the shoulder,of the mounting in the chuck, and take down the O.D. to fit the opening. Everything worked out fine ,and the Watch has been placed in the "Repaired Box". Thanks for your help.

Scott, I picked up the chucks at Dashto's.

Frank

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Frank,
I love it when a plan comes together! Big Grin
(Apologies to George Peppard)

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002