Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Case Question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Tom Allerding
posted
I recently picked up a nice 16S Hampden in a generic salesman's case. The bezels are snap on, and the one with a slot for opening was mounted on the movement side. Since it's a lever set watch, I removed both bezels - carefully with a small blade - intending to reverse them. Unfortunately, I now can't get either of the bezels back on. I've pressed, pushed, squeezed - everything short of grabbing a pair of pliers - but no luck. (I've also used several "magic words" that I won't repeat on this family friendly site.) Any tips or tricks anyone might have for this situation would be much appreciated. It's always the small things that get ya!

Tom

Posts: 139 | Location: Spokane, Washington USA | Registered: August 16, 2005
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Tom,

If you haven't tried it already, it's usually best by getting the 6:00 position started first and working back up towards the stem.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Tom Allerding
posted
Thanks for your reply, Steve - but no luck. I still can't get this case back together and dislodged one of the crystals while trying. The glass crystals look thicker than I've seen before, and may be distorting the metal frame in some way. The watch needs to be serviced anyhow, so I'll probably bandage it up and send it to Dr Abell.

Best,

Tom

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Tom,

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having with your case. Sometimes those display cases can be a real hassle especially if it is a lever set movement in it. I had a gold filled Model 29 case with serious brassing going on with the back and the bow was almost worn clear through as well as the crown with no markings left on it as well. The bezel was still good and the glass crysal was decent so I screwed it back onto another 29 case with a Illinois 161A in it. Those trashed out cases on ebay can be a real steal sometimes.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Tom Allerding
posted
That's a great looking set, Steve, and really practical for a lever set watch. I now have a new appreciation for screw on bezels!

Tom