Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Need help with Waltham 18s model 1877 "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Hi All,

I am trying to fix a Waltham Broadway and I keep breaking the pallet arbor while trying to put the plates together. This pallet is different than what I've seen on the previous 18s I've worked on and it's top heavy. I can't get the top plate on without it getting sideways. After that when I try to lift the plate the arbor seems to be stuck and I've snapped two of them. Any advice, comments, or suggestions will be helpful.

Thank you,
RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Two things: You can use a small piece of Rodico to hold the pallet in place as is suggested elsewhere in the forum. Second, when separating the plates, be sure you lift the correct plate. If you lift the plate with the lower balance jewel, you will likely twist and snap or bend the pivot and or crack/break a jewel.

Roger

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
With the movement apart check and see if your upper and lower pallet jewels are the correct size for the pallet arbor you have,,If you have had too replace the arbor the jewels may not be right.ain,t watch repair fun Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Richard,
Try puting the wheels and palet in the upper plate, then put the pillar plate on.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Everyone thank you so much for the help. I'm going to try what Brian is suggesting with some Rodico that Roger suggests. I'll make sure to also check the palate before attempting to assemble which Samie suggested.

The fun of this watch is I'm fixing it for a friend of my brother. My brother brought it to me the day before Easter and the case has no bow and didn't have the button to open the hunting case. No key to wind it too. I've made a button out of aluninum with a dremel tool because I have no lathe. About 10 hours into this project and the guy who I'm fixing it for is on a budget so I'm predicting my labor will be for free.

The beauty of it is the movement is one of the most pristine movements I've seen and it's 127 years old. I took a liking to it immediately and want to see it fixed properly so I'm writing off the time as a learning experience. Now the search is on for parts.

Thanks again,
RR

Photo by Tony Ciccotelli

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010