Internet Horology Club 185
ROLLER JEWELS. SOLVED

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426047761/m/7913965487

February 08, 2015, 17:37
Patrick Wallin
ROLLER JEWELS. SOLVED
Why or who says roller jewels have to be of jewel material? Why not a metal rod soldered to the table? You could file it to fit.
February 08, 2015, 18:54
William D. White
Patrick,

Roller jewels are an intended to minimize sliding friction between the roller jewel and the pallet fork. A polished hard stone such as synthetic ruby will slide quite easily against hard steel, brass against steel will work, but it's important to remember that a detached lever escapement relies on brief and minimal friction for optimal performance. If you were to replace the roller jewel with a brass or steel pin, said performance would be compromised.

William
February 09, 2015, 15:16
Patrick Wallin
Sounds good to me. I figured there was a good reason but I didn't consider friction.
February 16, 2015, 03:45
Robert McClelland
I found a balance wheel in my junk parts drawer that had a steel roller 'jewel' installed by someone. You can see from the photo that the end has some significant wear. I'm sure the performance would definitely have been compromised.

February 16, 2015, 16:10
Serge Barlas
Robert,

I have seen the same thing but with a piece of brass rod in place of the jewel pin. Why would someone go through all the trouble of making a brass "pin" to fit the watch when it would have been less work to just replace the jewel ?? Roll Eyes

Kindest regards,

Serge