Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

ROLLER JEWELS. SOLVED "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Why or who says roller jewels have to be of jewel material? Why not a metal rod soldered to the table? You could file it to fit.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Patrick,

Roller jewels are an intended to minimize sliding friction between the roller jewel and the pallet fork. A polished hard stone such as synthetic ruby will slide quite easily against hard steel, brass against steel will work, but it's important to remember that a detached lever escapement relies on brief and minimal friction for optimal performance. If you were to replace the roller jewel with a brass or steel pin, said performance would be compromised.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Sounds good to me. I figured there was a good reason but I didn't consider friction.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
posted
I found a balance wheel in my junk parts drawer that had a steel roller 'jewel' installed by someone. You can see from the photo that the end has some significant wear. I'm sure the performance would definitely have been compromised.

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Robert,

I have seen the same thing but with a piece of brass rod in place of the jewel pin. Why would someone go through all the trouble of making a brass "pin" to fit the watch when it would have been less work to just replace the jewel ?? Roll Eyes

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014