Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Cleaning cases "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Wondering if anyone else has tried this. A while ago I picked up a Hamilton 992 off ebay, I wanted a movement for a display case. Found a watch, in what the seller described as running, but with a crap case. bought it to get the movement, happy ending. anyhow, my wife gave me some jewelry cleaner she bought from one of the big box stores for another project, smelled and looked like window cleaner, used her stuff, OK, decided to try some windex on that crap gold filled case, removed the stem, gave it a soak, scrubbed a bit with a tooth brush and it worked very well, cleaned all the gunk out of the case threads and shined up nice, didn't try any silver cases yet, didn't seem to do much for silverode and the like.

Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Rubbing alcohol works very well for the gunk and build up removal too. It's also pretty cheap, dollar a bottle

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
Yep, I've tried the wife's jewelry cleaner, red liquid in a red plastic jar. I don't know what you used but the one I tried had a strong smell of ammonia. Worked ok but Like you I tried Windex. Sprayed it on a soft towel and polished away. I clean the threads with Windex and a toothpick and old toothbrush. Never tried alcohol on a case but have used it on a cotton swab for hands and dials. On very dirty dials I use the Comet spray without bleach.
On silveroid cases I use Blue Magic. Works on gold cases to but it is abrasive and will remove the gold on filled cases.
Thanks for the insights. I'm still looking for that magic elixir that will soak all the scratches out of the case AND straighten out the threads!

B.R.
Mike

Posts: 206 | Location: West Virginia in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2012
posted
Gary, when you used the windex, was it diluted? Also, how long did you let it soak before you scrubed? I will give it a try. I have had great results for silveroid/nickel cases using a buffing wheel. The case ends up with a mirror finish. I do have to follow up with rubbing alcohol, with cotton cloth, and cotton swabs for the hard to reach areas. For silver cases I use Wright's silver polish, with a damp applicator. The tarnish comes right off. I too am still looking for the magic for damaged threads.

Posts: 23 | Location: Channahon, Illinois in the USA | Registered: March 30, 2013
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
James, I used full strength windex, soaked 2 or 3 hours. For silverode cases and the like I've used No. 7 fine polishing compound as used in auto body shops with good results. Wish I could help with damaged threads.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Ammonia works well and is cheaper than windex.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
Picture of Billy Kuhn
posted
The Ammonia is a very good cleaner for watch cases. I have used this for a few years. That is what clock cleaning solution is made with.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Killen, Alabama in the USA | Registered: January 15, 2013