Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Cleaning a 2-Tone Movement "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Happy New year to all!

I've just picked up a nice 1888 Riverside with a 2-tone movement - quite rare I believe?

The cock foot and tadpole regulator are as bright as ever but the plate gilding seems to have darkened a little.

This may only be dirt but I'm wary of bunging it straight in the washer in case the ammonia does some damage.

Can anyone offer advice on how to effectively clean a 2-tone movement in as gentle a manner as possible?

Many thanks,

Dick

Posts: 57 | Location: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: January 27, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Dick,
How about some pics of that two toner?

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Dick don,t be afarid of cleaning the 2-tones just be careful..I collect a few 2-tones and have cleaned a lot of them..the most important thing you need too do is make sure you use clean solution both in the cleaning and rinse solutions old oils and who knows what else in your cleaning and rinse solutions can and will damange a 2-tone movement...What i do after i have the watch apart is use Peg wood too clean all the hole in the jewels and polish the pivots if needed i then clean all the train and other parts winding setting etc ...If you think about it if the jewels are clean and the pivots are clean the plates don,t need much time in the cleaner..I clean all my watches with a ultarsonic cleaning machine,,

I use L&r cleaning 111 soultion and the # 3 rinse..

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Thanks for your help everyone. I'll post a few pics as soon as I can find my USB cable!

I've had the movement apart and cleaned it - it was swimming in oil! Apart from that it needed a new 4th wheel, new bottom balance hole jewel, fresh shellac on a wobbly roller jewel, new crystal and a new mainspring.

I should have it back together tonight with a bit of luck.

Thanks again,

Dick

Posts: 57 | Location: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: January 27, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Dick, we must be on the "same channel" I am getting ready to clean up this 2-tone Riverside and have some puzzlement about the "Gold" tone. I hope you post some pics of yours with comments. I will do same after cleaning.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Nice 88 David!
I do like some of the two tone movements. Pair that with the classic mdl 1888 and you have something.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008