• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Stiff winder "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Stiff winding problem. 16s Elgin was so greasy it wouldnt run. After a cleaning and oil it runs like a champion but winds hard. I removed the ratchet wheel with the movement still in the case and the crown turns like butter. This tells me that the crown wheel and the case stem are free and good. With the ratchet wheel off I can move the winding arbor a littla and it appears to turn freely in the plates. I installed an NOS mainspring and oiled with Moebius 8200. What could it be? Could the cap on the mainspring barrel be holding it tight? Sounds kind of unlikely to me. At first I thought maybe the mainspring was to stiff but it does not seem to run with too much power. No overbanking or knocking. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter #55
Chapter 185 Finance VP
God bless America

BTW, What would happen if a mainspring was wound into the barrel backward? Could this even be done and if so would the watch run?

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Problem solved. Smile

Ten minutes on the phone with Ed and were up and winding like silk. The old fear of overlube got me this time. The crown wheel between the wheel and the center arbor was dry and binding. She winds smooth as silk.

I was going to delete this but maybe it could help another amatuer so I'll leave it.

Thanks Ed!

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter #55
Chapter 185 Finance VP
God bless America

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Aaron,
Yes, a mainspring can be wound into a barrel backwards. I don't want to go into any detail, but I know! Frown Roll Eyes
However, the watch won't run, as the arbor hook will not be able to engage the hole in the end of the mainspring. When the watch is wound, it will feel like a broken mainspring. Usually if you also put the arbor in upside down (so now the arbor hook will engage the mainspring hole), the assembled barrel cannot be put back into the movement, as the barrel teeth will not engage the center wheel pinion.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC #49688
IHC #34
http://members.aol.com/stdwatch/

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Life Member
posted
Maybe that explains the stiff winding on a Waltham I just fitted a new mainspring into. It winds very easily while tightening the ratchet wheel screw, but is exceedingly stiff when winding through the stem.

With the barrel out, the crown and stem spin freely ... BUT ...

I will try looking at lube in the crown wheel and such, and report back tomorrow on my success, if any.

Posts: 213 | Location: Westminster, Maryland in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2015
posted
This sounds like one I have , thank you

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015