• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hampten Railway Needs Work "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I just was shown my Great Grand Fathers Hampden Railway. Serial Number 436562 It is marked Patent Pinion Adjusted Springfield Mass. Hampden Watch Co. It is in a Hunter Case marked as follows. Keystone, with a key stone emblem, 515692, 14K. Five jewels are visible with the back open and it is lever set. The dial is double sunk with Roman numerals and red Arabic numbers above each Roman numeral. It has real fancy hands. The bezel and crystal are missing. The back cover is apart at the hinge and the movement is loose in the case. The case has some crud in it around the edges but the movement looked clean. I would really like to find out any thing anyone can tell me about this watch. Who I should contact to see about getting it put back into a serviceable condition. I would consider re-casing it and holding on to the original parts for family / sentimental reasons.
reidenbachr@comcast.net

Posts: 15 | Location: Potomac, Maryland in the USA | Registered: January 25, 2005
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Hi Richard:
Those old family watches are great items. I also have my great grandfathers; however his was a 17J Waltham Bartlett. I sure you will have many replies from very knowledgeable people with great suggestions for refurbishing the watch. I had to replace the dial on my G-Grandfathers, as the one on it was totaled. It looks much better with the replacement dial (exact match); however I kept the original as well......not sure why....it just seemed right Smile

Grant Perry

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Hi Richard,
First off, to be correct it`s Hampden not "Hampton". Your Great Grand Father`s watch is an 18 size, 15 jewel, hunting, model 2, nickel, lever-set, adjusted movement and should have "Railway" engraved on the movement. It was "Railroad" grade at the time it was made which was around 1887 or a little later.
Sounds like the case is beyond repair. You can find an empty hunting case to fit the movement but the price is going to be somewhat high for one in good shape. Some folks go the cheaper route and case them in an open face case. Just depends on what you want and what you can afford.

Hope this helps

Smile Smile

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Hello Richard,

In reading your post it seems that you have a family heirloom of four generations, not many of us have that opportunity; I think it is worthwhile to have the watch, including the case, back to its original condition.
From your description the movement is ok and probably just needs cleaning and oiling.
The case can be restored and although the cost could be a little high, you will be proud of making this piece of your family history available for the generations to come (sort of a duty isn't it?)

There is a recent thread in this board regarding bezel fittings:
Bezel fitting

And companies that restore watch cases:
Wuischpard & Son

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
posted
Welcome Richard to Ch 185.
It is great you have a watch that has been in your family for a long time.
Like others have said, the case may be able to be repaired, but depending maybe better to recase the movement.I would like to see a picture of before and after to see how the restoration goes.
It is also a very good watch, and the higher quality Hampdens are good watches to colect and restore.