• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

what to look for when cleaning and oiling "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I was wondering as a new person, starting to clean and oil watches.What are the most common things someone should look for when they reasemble, and clean and oil a watch.
Some things are obvious like a broke pivot or jewel but what are some others?
This also presuming the watch was running when you took it apart.

IHC Member 261
Chapter 111,Ottawa
NAWCC Member 158976,
Nepean, Canada

Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Veritas,
In my experiance the only problems I`ve had after reassembling a working watch after cleaning was due to not oiling properly or having a pivot not seated correctly. make sure the mainspring is lubed and all of the pivots are oiled. Don`t forget to put a little oil on the escape teeth (every other one). Are all the pivots seated correctly? Sure everthing is oriented right? An upside-down pallet or similar would of course be a problem. Basically if everthing is reassembled correctly and no parts left out and oiled properly it should run, unless...you have broken or damaged something in your cleaning, etc.
There is a number of things that could be the cause, especially if one is inexperianced. The mainspring could be backwards, could have broken the roller jewel, etc.
The best route is to trouble-shoot and locate where the problem is, as already so well explained by Ed. Track it down, is it winding?. Power getting thru the train to the escape wheel?
Chances are it is something over-looked or forgotten and probably minor.
Keep us posted. Am interested to know what the problem was.

Smile

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Two points (among many) that might be easy to miss:

1) Did you clean all of the old oil (dried to varnish) from the holes and cap jewels? Use pegwood on each jewel and check them under your loupe. Cleaning solution alone may not get the job done.

2) Is the hairspring properly between the regulator pins?

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
It seems when i tightened down the plate i damged the hole on the bridge with the pivot not going in correctly.I had since tried 3 times and still had problems, i then realized wheel , the escape wheel was stiff and ordered some broaches.Since then i replaced the bridge and have replaced 4 escape wheels and this watch is getting expensive.I also replaced the mainspring barrel arbour and cap.This watch was really my first endeavor and i have learned a heck of alot from people on this site plus my time in this watch and the times i have taken this 16 sz grade 291 watch apart.I think i could do it with my eyes closed now as i have lost count how many times i have taken it apart.
Also much easier to put the 3rd and 4th and escape wheel in line it up and tighten down that bridge.Then put stem assy in and mainspring barrel and put that plate on and line up and tighten down.Much easier i have found if you can do it with the particular movement.

IHC Member 261
Chapter 111,Ottawa
NAWCC Member 158976,
Nepean, Canada

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Kevin,

Do you have a set of calipers? This is a must! Before you replace any part on the watch, it should be measured to ensure it has the correct dimensions such as pivot size and overall arbor length. Escape wheels do not have part numbers stamped on them so it's hard to tell if you have the correct one without measuring it first.

I would be happy to look at your watch and help you find the correct escape wheel. I have some spares that will probably fit but I would need the watch and all of the parts associated with it from the beginning. Drop me an email if you need help.

John D. Duvall
Vice President, Education

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003