• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What is this "extra part" "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
O.K....what is it? I took this Illinois 16s model 6 (Hunter pendant set) apart for cleaning and was ready to get up when I noticed this part sitting on the movement holder. Can someone please tell me what it is and where it goes?
Thanks!

Jim Wooldridge

Posts: 49 | Location: Rapids City, Illinois USA | Registered: August 05, 2005
posted
You have it laying pretty close to where it belongs now. It belongs in the grove in the plate to the right of where the winding stem goes. The tab on the right hand side of this piece goes up. I hope this helps.

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
posted
Thank you sir!
Now, the tab on the right points up (as the pillar plate is setting in the photo)at the outside edge of the watch, correct?
So, I assume this is actually a spring to assist the setting mechanism. Is that a good guess?

Thanks again

Jim Wooldridge

Posts: 49 | Location: Rapids City, Illinois USA | Registered: August 05, 2005
posted
You are correct in your first assumtion. As for you second question,I have know idea what it's purpose is. Smile I just remember where the piece fits. Maybe someone else can answer that question.

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
This bar is used to allow timing the pendant set movement while it is out of the case. Pulling the end of the lever out, away from the center of the movement will put the setting mechanism into the winding position. This will allow the movement to be accurately timed outside the case. A watch running while the hand setting mechanism is engaged will not run to time, due to the extra drag and friction. The lever must be pushed back into the setting position before the movement can be inserted back into the case.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002