• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Broken Center Jewel, Hamilton 974 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I bought this watch in my early days (3 months ago), and was satisfied that it simply ran. Then looking at it more closely, I noticed the broken center jewel, and am now pondering how to fix it. Since the jewel is in a setting, it would seem an easy matter to find a derelict 974 movement and rob the jewel from it -- so I may go shopping. But my question is whether it is as simple as this?

Posts: 61 | Location: Tucson, Arizona in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2013
posted
Here is a closer view -- I can see some sharp broken edges on the jewel that threaten to chew away on the center wheel pinion. I definitely will not run this watch till I get a proper center jewel. And these photos also indicate that a full cleaning and oiling is in order.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
The way you are thinking is a simple fix. The problem is if you rob it from a fixable watch you have destroyed one to fix another. If you do find a donor movement / Jewel in setting. You will need make sure the replacement jewel and settings go / fit the pivot of the new watch.

I have a couple 992's movements that has the center wheel jewel. I have no idea if it would fit. But I'm sure some where on the site there is a movement parts list you should be able to find.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
posted
I don't have the heart to rob things from fixable movements. This watches time will come. Somewhere along the line I will accumulate enough random watch parts that an answer will offer itself.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Tom if you have a jeweling set you can remove the jewel from the seting and replace it.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Toms, e-mail me the serial number of your 974 and I will check my parts movements to see of there is a center jewel on a movement close in age to yours.
david@glopar.com

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007