Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

This watch has an extra wheel?? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Hello, I just got this 1942 Bulova with a 10AX movement. I am puzzled by the "extra" wheel. What does it do? The normal power train is visible and it doesn't appear to be part of the power train.

Whatever could it be?

Thanks, Jim

Movement

Posts: 116 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma USA | Registered: February 07, 2007
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Dial side

Dial side

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Jim,
The sweep center second hand is the clue for the "extra" wheel. Normally, the second hand is a long pivot extension on the 4th wheel, which rotates once a minute. On your watch, the 3rd wheel has a gear on top of the plates with the same number of teech as the normal one, located down between the plates. This "extra" wheel drives a pinion gear that extends down through the hollow center wheel and cannon pinion. This pinion will now also rotate once a minute (just like the 4th wheel) and the sweep second hand is attached to the long shaft that is part of the center pinion.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Thanks Ed, With your great explaination it makes sense.

Regards, Jim

posted
Jim,

Ed is of course correct, but I wanted to add that this arrangement is often referred to as an "indirect center (or sweep) seconds" movement.

Regards,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Thanks Cary, I'm sure glad I have such a rich resource as the people on these boards. I have so much to learn Smile

Regards, Jim

P.S. Lyndell would be quick to remind me that there is no such thing as a dumb question, except the one that you don't ask.