Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Click Spring "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1357
posted
Just how important is the click spring in the winding, function of the watch. I have a model 1892
Vanguard 19 Jewel that winds good but does not click
back on the wind. Not right I know but the watch
functions well. So how important is the click spring?

Roger

Posts: 4088 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
posted
I thought that the click acting with the click

Spring prevents the mainspring from unwinding.
I am pretty sure that it will, unless there is something else preventing the “unwinding”.
The watch may run for a short time with little “winding”, but sooner than the design time will stop.
Mel

Posts: 507 | Location: West Newton, Massachusetts USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
IHC Member 1650
posted
Roger

Are you saying that you can wind the watch, but you can't turn the crown backwards? If so, something is gummed up or assembled incorrectly.

Doug

Posts: 370 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
posted
Added musing.
There are many ways that a click will position itself in the correct position to prevent unwinding.
However there may be a position of the watch where the click, without the spring will be in a loose place and allow unwinding.
The click spring “guarantees” it will be in the correct position.

Posts: 507 | Location: West Newton, Massachusetts USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
Picture of Thomas M. Cusack
posted
How about a few pictures, so we can all see the problem you are having .

Posts: 175 | Location: New Hampshire in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2015
IHC Member 1555
posted
Maybe Roger is discussing the clicking sound a watch usually makes when one ratchets the crown backwards slightly for another purchase as you wind it up, maybe he can elaborate on itSmileIs it a Pendant or Lever setting "Model 92" Roger, you problem will be in the winding clutch retaining click-spring (please excuse the terminology it is incorrect).

If this is weak and/or has been bent it will not exert the correct downward pressure on the winding clutch pinion. Therefore, it is possible for it to wind but not enough to hold pressure down as the two teeth surfaces wind back on each other, thus no click soundSmile

Erin

Posts: 2260 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1357
posted
The watch will wind backwards to a full wind hearing
clicking and wheels turn but no click noise on the
return (to the right)

IHC Member 1555
posted
The Clutch Pinion spring tension is the problemSmile

IHC Member 1357
posted
Thanks guys, Bila put my problem in better words
than I. Watch has been running 33 hrs. and has gained maybe 5 secs. So, should this be something to
be concerned about in the short term? I realize that
problems should be addressed and corrected. But this watch is not in my carry rotation as of now.

posted
Roger, thanks for asking the click issue question.
I have a couple of 1883 18 size Walthams with if not the same
or similar issues.
Regards
Rick

Posts: 535 | Location: Innisfil in Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 04, 2014
IHC Member 1555
posted
quote:
So, should this be something to
be concerned about in the short term?

This will not affect the running of the watch or do any damage Roger. Although if it was me I would fix it next time it comes down for any workSmile

Erin

IHC Member 1555
posted
quote:
I have a couple of 1883 18 size Walthams with if not the same
or similar issues.

Hi Rick,

The Model 1883 has a totally different set up for the winding & setting, it uses a type of the old "rocking bar" arrangement under dial.

This arrangement also uses a sliding indent wheel that is spring loaded to actuate the setting and has a click spring under the dial plate that keeps tension on the rocking bar to facilitate winding.

Once again if the spring tension is to light you will not here the clicking happening on the backwards ratcheting during the winding process.

Although, you still can wind on these with this happening, due to the fact of slight downward pressure from the action/motion of winding allows the rocking bar to tilt down towards the winding wheel, thus engaging the mechanismSmile

Erin

posted
Erin, thank you. I appreciate the information.
I have been wondering about that for awhile, Lord only knows why
I did not post the question here previously.

Many thanks
Rick

Posts: 535 | Location: Innisfil in Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 04, 2014
IHC Member 1357
posted
Appreciate the answers. I did not want to do any harm to it,and I didn't
think it would but would rather get an experts opinion on it.
Thanks very much

Roger