Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin information "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
Would any of you learned gentelmen or ladies be able to help? I have a Elgin 16 size # 24237153 7 jewel class 110 grade 291 7th model. Now the question. I need a balace complete for this jem so part numbers whould be a great help, the next question is there any other models or grades with balances which interchange with the watch. Confused
Thanks Walter

Posts: 105 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 05, 2010
IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
To answer my own question. Yes. The staff is #861 which fits 107 to 110 plus 127. The hair spring fits 241 to 247 plus 291,92,93 part # 796.

Posts: 105 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 05, 2010
IHC Member 1650
posted
Walter - I'm a newbie to this, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I chose to start with 16-size 7-jewel elgins, because they are plentiful and inexpensive. If I mess one up, it's no tragedy.
So far, I have 3 out of 5 repaired and running.

Is the balance missing altogether for your watch, or does it just need a staff? From the prices I've seen for complete balances, it might be more cost-effective to replace the staff in your existing balance. If that isn't practical, you may also find that you can buy a complete movement on e-bay with a good balance cheaper than you can buy only a balance. There were millions of grade 291 watches made over the years - There are always LOTS of them on eBay.

Good luck!

Doug

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011