Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A question: Keeping second hands on their posts "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Greetings all,

I'm sure many of you have run across the issue of a second hand that is loose, does not want to follow the post or wants to drop off when turned dial down. In some cases I have been able to slightly close (very difficult to do) the pipe on the second hand so that it better grabs the post. Are there other trick or techniques that can be used to do the same thing without having to close the pipe? Your comments are appreciated!

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
you can close the pipe on second hand with pin vice
or use bees wax .

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
What happens when the bees wax gets to 98 degrees in your pocket.
Peter may have something there.
I had a Elgin, 12s, 7 jewel that ran like a top but the second hand kept falling off. I ended up removing the dial and using a pliers, I squeezed the post real hard to get a serrated effect on it. The post is brittle so be very careful with it. To this day the hand is still on the post. Another way is to place a little super glue on it and let it dry for about 6 hours. Enlarging the size of the post. Then place the tube on it.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
its synthetic bees wax and it will not melt at 100 or above deg to point of damaging the movement
best bet is to use the pin vice on the second hand.
on the other hand really super glue?

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1613
posted
Like using a pin vice I put the hand pipe in a lathe collet and tighten it on the lathe..Simple and easy..

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Peter & Gary's way sound the best to me too. My way works but it is a lengthy process and the post is easily broken.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Thanks for the help guys, it is very appreciated!

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014