Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help with a stuck banking pin "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Friends,

I'm working on a 16 size Elgin that needs a slight adjustment to one of the banking pins. Unfortunately the pin is fully screwed into the pillar plate and it will not budge! (I'm wondering if it's cross threaded) I have tried to back it out in the hopes of replacing it but the more I try the more I am galling the screw head; the screw slot is slowly disappearing. I'm stuck on how best to deal with this issue. I'm looking for any and all suggestions that would help me unscrew this retched pin. Mad

Thanks

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
IHC Member 2030
posted
Any and all suggestions?
Can it be moved from the long side?
Good luck friend!
Mike

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Hi Mike,

I had the same thought. I'm trying to look at it as a last resort... once I start going down that road there will be no going back. I'm concerned about possible damage to the plate. I'll have to take the movement back apart again and see if some penetrating fluid might help the situation. Thanks for your comments.

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
posted
Hi Serge,
If all else fails drill a small hole through the banking pin base, cut several slots up to the threads, that should release the pressure on the threads and make it possible to remove.
Ernie

Posts: 42 | Location: Manitoba in Canada | Registered: December 05, 2014
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Hi Ernie,

Thanks for your suggestion; I'll definitely give this some thought.

Kindest regards,

Serge