• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Botchology "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I recently bought a 17 jewel, 12 sz elgin.I THOUGHT it would be a nice watch to repair.It has a 20 year rolled gold case and was lacking a bow, but decent crystal and dial.
It came yesterday and when i looked at the outside of the case someone had squeezed in vise grips or a vise or something, trying to get the bezel off.I did get the back off, but the case was a oval shape and i could not screw the bezel off because the case and bezel were so badly distorted.I figured well the case and bezel are a write off anyway.I have to pretty well destroy the case to get the movement out and the whole movement and dial will have to come out the back.I hate to do this to a time peice but there is no other way that i know of.
I wish some people just didn,t touch watches. Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

IHC Member 261
Chapter 111,Ottawa
NAWCC Member 158976,
Nepean, Canada

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Kevin,

Very sad situation... Some people should keep their hands in their pockets. "If you don't know what you're doing don't do anything" comes to mind in this instance.

Here's the good part... I recently bought some 12-size cases. Let us know the serial number. If this movement is worthwhile and is a standard 12-size I can probably help you.

Keep us up to date on the "grand opening" of this one!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hi Lindell, you could use your imagination to understand what i had to do to the case, i could post a picture, but i dunno, pretty scarry stuff.If i had known what kind of condition this watch was in i would have walked away Renee.
It was ebay and i guess the seller did not honestly know.The movement appears ok, i took it all apart so i couldn,t damage it any more when i cut the bezel and case off.
I am in need of some 12 sz cases.I have a nice 17 jewel waltham that will need a case.
I will contact you later on that Lindell. Confused Confused Mad Mad Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Frown Frown Red Face Red Face

IHC Member 261
Chapter 111,Ottawa
NAWCC Member 158976,
Nepean, Canada

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Kevin,
The term I use for that kind of watch butchery is Horolicide!

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Kevin,
A while back I bought a watch lot that included a neat little 12s Hampden. The bezel unscrewed readily but try as I might the back would not budge. Finally after much thought and many futile attempts I used a thin blade knife and gradually managed to pry the back off without too much distortion. Needless to say, the threads were stripped making the case unuseable. Someone had put, what looked like, contact cement all around the threaded portion. Still can`t figure that one out?

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003