Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seiko Diashock question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello,
I'm continuing my work on a Seiko cal. 6106A, automatic, day/date. I've got the watch disassembled except for the balance jewels which are in a Diashock assembly.
Question: I am unfamiliar with this assembly. Can anyone provide info on removing the jewels? Are these Diashock springs any more robust than the Incabloc springs (some of which I have broken upon disassembly)?
Thanks,
Pete

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004
posted
Hi Peter,

The disassembly is done by carefully turning the spring (with tweezers so says Seiko) until one of the three lobes is aligned with the little notch in the setting and gently lifted up. Once one of the lobes is free you may have to turn the spring again to free the the next lobe to remove the spring (but not every time... so you have to feel if it is truly free).

To reassemble, gradually turn and fit each one of the lobes, or ears, into the setting notch until all are locked below the lip that holds the spring in place.

If you like, I can scan the page I have on this jewel setting to you, if you provide your email address. There's not much to it really but it's nice to have a diagram or picture sometimes.

If you break your jewel springs... I always lose them Big Grin

Tim.

Posts: 95 | Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida USA | Registered: January 16, 2006
posted
Tim,
Thanks for your help. I removed the diashock spring from the balance cock this morning. Good news: I was able to remove the cap jewel! Bad news: The diashock spring disappeared from view, flew off into eternity.

Tim (or anyone else), do you have any extra Seiko cal. 6106 diashock springs you'd be willing to sell to me? Please let me know, I'd like to buy a few since I still have to tackle the plate jewel setting and reassemble both settings. Thanks,
Pete

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004
posted
Peter,

Unfortunately, I don't have any, but Jules Borel says they have them on their online catalogue for watch parts.

Tim.

Posts: 95 | Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida USA | Registered: January 16, 2006
posted
Thanks Tim,
I saw that; I will try to order from them, or I will call Cas-Ker since I am going out that way next week.
Pete

posted
Update for those who are following this incredibly interesting saga:

I bought three replacement diashock springs from Cas-Ker (abt. $3 each). After losing the first spring almost immediately after taking it out of the package, I devised another approach. I used a small piece of Rodico, rolled thin like a tiny toothpick, to pick up the spring and GENTLY place one "point" of the spring in the diashock jewel housing. Then, using tweezers, I GENTLY nudged the other two points of the spring into position, and, voila, both jewel assemblies are in position. Now all I have to do is finish the rest of the watch...
Pete

posted
Peter,

I remember seeing a similar technique somewhere else... then promptly forgot it! I'm glad you mention it here, because I need to use the same method to curtail my constant loosing of springs.

Tim.

List of springs lost: (Partial list).

Diashock.
Kif.
Incabloc.
Date jumper (various).
Click.
Date drive wheel.
Bezel click or ball.
Ball point pen spring.
Spring from my wifes necklace clasp/doohickey.

etc.,etc.

posted
Tim,
Thanks for your list of lost springs, I don't feel so bad now. For this watch, I also managed to lose one of the hole jewel settings (actually, I know roughly where it is -- it's on the floor somewhere, down in the carpet). I had to order one of those from Jules Borel -- but, as I said, the balance jewels are all now safely in their place. Of course, I'll be lucky to break even on this watch, but the experience is, they say, priceless.
Pete