• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois Grade 299 Benjamin Franklin "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am attempting to gather the parts needed to resore an Illinois 12s, Grade 299, Open Face, Benjamin Franklin movement. I will be adding a post the the "Wanted" section of the forum for a Grade 299 parts movement or parts but I have a few questions about the clutch assembly.

I have another Illinois Grade 299 that is just 20 serial numbers later than this Ben Franklin but the clutch operates and looks the same as all my other Model 1's, as well as the later Model numbers.

It appears to me that the only thing missing is a spring on the front of the plate that would apply upward pressure on the setting part on the back of the plate, thus allowing it to move up when the pendant is pulled and forced down when the pendant is returned to the winding posistion.

Front

Posts: 206 | Location: West Virginia in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2012
posted
Back of plate

posted
All the numbered parts are present, even the mainspring barrel and cover, just need everything else. Smile

Main wheel, washer and screw
Ratchet wheel and screw
Third wheel (missing)
Fourth wheel (second pinion is broke)
Center wheel (two of the arms look stressed)
Click, spring and screw

Illinois Grade 299 Benjamin Franklin

posted
I also need the proper dial. Frown

Parts

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The clutch lever shown in your top picture has the long end broken off from the finger that is supposed to engage the pin shown at the bottom.

There is a spring which engages the pins extending from the two clutch pieces. One is a looped type and the other style is shaped like a "W" and they both work the same.

Brian Cavanaugh is very likely to have both of these parts available.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thank you David. More parts added to the list.

Mike

IHC Member 1736
posted
That sir, is a labor of love. Wow!

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
posted
Yea, kind of, but nothing it needs, besides the dial, should be too hard to find. Just takes patience.
The production numbers I found lists 75 hunter and only 40 open face. These numbers were supposed to be taken from another database, so I figure it is worth saving. If someone has different numbers please let me know before I get too deep.....lol