Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Alcohol lamp fuel "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
What is the type of fuel you are suppose to use in alcohol lamps? Is it "Denatured alcohol"? Isopropyl is something like 70% alcohol, and a lamp I have seen says to use 90% alcohol. Is there a special fuel sold for the lamps?

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Andy,
The container that I am currently using in my alcohol burner states "91% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol" and came from the Rite Aid drugstore chain.
I have had problems with the 70% Ethanol/Methanol mixture. It does not burn very well.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The best stuff comes from laboratory supply shops, the label says - 200 proof reagent quality ethyl alcohol. It burns clean w/o blackening whatever you try to warm up.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1986 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Thanks.
I'll have to go shopping for the right type. I have a can of denatured, but it doesn't say what it really is.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
I use Methylated Spirits, Over here it is coloured blue and has ,supposedly a nasty taste,this to try and prevent alcohlics from drinking it. It burns well and very cleanly.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
Picture of Brian C.
posted
I use denatured alcolhol and it works fine for me.
Also a tip from an old watchmaker. If you leave your part a little too long in the flame and it turns blue, dip it in muriatic acid (used for cleaning stone work), this will remove the blue color.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002