Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

clutch assembly locked "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Willy Coffin
posted
I have disassembled, cleaned, and am in the process of re-assembly (my first pocket watch project). I have an Elgin 16. I am having difficulty with the clutch assembly. It will not spring back, when I insert a bench key. It is locked in the setting position. I have moved the setting spring cam, and although it engages the setting spring, the setting spring will not engage the post, at the end of it. This post is locked. I was able to slide it with a larger-sized screw driver, but it moves with great resistance. I have tried loosening the barrel bridge (thinking maybe I had the screws too tight, causing resistance to the clutch), but it didn't free it up, even when the screws were completely loosened). What else can I try to free this up? Roll Eyes

Posts: 38 | Location: Chenoa, Illinois USA | Registered: June 29, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Willy, let me be the first to welcome you to Chapter 185's Watch Repair forum. Our goal is to help any and everyone with the repair of their watch. I have some experience with Elgin pocket watches so I will attempt to help you with your problem.

A stem set and wind movement will be in the "setting" position once the movement is removed from the case. To return the movement to the winding position (without pushing the bench key in), you must position the "setting cam" so that it DOES NOT engage the setting spring. You will know when this occurs because the Setting Spring Cam in this position will prevent you from reinstalling the movement into the case.

With the Setting Spring Cam in this position, does the clutch move away from the minute wheel and engage the winding pinion? If so, will the watch wind without having to push in with the bench key?

Now, with the Setting Spring Cam returned to the setting position (normal position), what components do you see moving when you push in the bench key?

I believe your problem may be the Setting Lever pin is positioned on the wrong side of the setting spring end or tip.

If all else fails, do you have the resources to either take a close-up picture or scanned image of your watch? It is easier to diagnose your problem if we could see what your watch looks like under the dial and with the barrel bridge removed.

If that is not possible, just provide the serial number and I will find a grade watch that has the identical winding/setting mechanism as yours and will post the picture so you can compare the components positions. I'm going out of town for the weekend but will respond again upon return.

In the meantime, you can view some of the slides in the following Helping Hand presentation to see if that will help.
Winding & Setting Components

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192
Chapter 185 Watch Repair Moderator

[This message was edited by John D. Duvall on July 03, 2003 at 3:50.]

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
Picture of Willy Coffin
posted
Thank-you for your quick response and suggestions. I found the "Components of a Pocket Watch--slide show" useful in preparing this posting and in using the correct terminology.

I have identified the problem with my watch. It was with the setting cam and setting lever under the bridge plate (not with the setting cam and lever on the dial side--which I originally thought). (It had come out of alignment after I reversed my assembly process to fix the mainspring to the barrel arbor.) Now it works as it should.

I may have some difficulty in attaching a picture of my watch, as I am having problems with focus. The serial number of my watch is #23905736. Other readers may benefit from an illustration.

I really love this internet chapter of the NAWCC. I can't wait to become a member! My membership application with NAWCC is underway!
Thanks so much for your friendly assistance! I'm sure, that I will have other questions in the future. Cool

Posts: 38 | Location: Chenoa, Illinois USA | Registered: June 29, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Willy,

Glad to hear you got your problem fixed. I should have asked you in the beginning if the watch wound and set okay before your tore it down. All of us at one time or another have put a part in the wrong way and wondered why the darn thing didn't work. Often we leave it, dream about, think about it at work and then come home and fix it!

Sometimes you will get a watch that someone else had given up on and put it up for sale as "overwound" or needs "minor fix" but failed to tell you about the one or two missing parts! If you get one of these, look at it as an opportunity and not a liability. I've learned more from watches that had a lot of problems than those that only required a cleaning.

Sometime in the future, I will do a Helping Hand on just the winding and setting components. This is probably one of the most misunderstood mechanisms of a watch. That's also why many preferred to stay with their tried and true key wind.

Happy you've found a home with Chapter 185. We welcome you and all of your questions.

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192
Chapter 185 Watch Repair Moderator

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003