Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Admiral Pocket Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 229
posted
Hi Folks....I have a few 12 size Admirals ...Tacy Watch Co.....Does anyone have Balance Staffs for these Movements???...7 jewel double roller...and...are upper and lower Balance jewels available??

Posts: 148 | Location: Somerville, New Jersey USA | Registered: November 28, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Tonyzee,

These are Swiss watches? I did a search at dashto.com and there were some 16s staffs for an Admiral 16s and an Admiral 18 ligne (12s) partial movement. You can email Tom at dashto.com and he might be able to steer you to the right place.

Sorry I can't help you anymore than that.

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192
Chapter 185 Watch Repair Moderator

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
Picture of Ted Steuernagel
posted
Hi Tony:I have a Admiral 12 s 15 jewel sn# under dail is 135021 the staff is also broken but everlything else looks good.It has a silver dail with raised gold nunbers. Let me know maybe we can work something out. TED

Posts: 335 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC Member 229
posted
SLarose....Uncle Larry...Dashto...no one seems to have a staff for this size..12 size...Admiral....so ...I got Mad....Yup...I'm now attempting to MAKE a Balance Staff...am I nuts or what?...If I'm successful...I'll let you folks know...If I'm not....I'll be hiding out somewhere....

Posts: 148 | Location: Somerville, New Jersey USA | Registered: November 28, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Don't hide and don't get discouraged. I went through several failed attempts before I successfully turned my first staff. That was for a simple single-roller Swiss bar movement. After that I tackled a double-roller Vacheron & Constantin. That took about three tries. I turned the next staff successfully on the second try. I found high magnification helpful while cutting the staff, along with frequent measuring and testing fit.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Member 229
posted
Thanks for the advice and encouragement....I am now practicing using some small nails as the raw material.....what kind of "stock" should I be using??....nails are Ok for practice....but much to soft...very little carbon content ...I guess?

IHC Member 229
posted
I have a lot more respect for the Title..."Watchmaker"....replacing bad parts is one thing....but....fabricating a replacement part is another...Well...after some six failures...I finally came up with something that I think will work.....I'll clean it up and polish it ...then install it and let ya now if it works...interesting experience.

Balance Staff