• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Wristwatch Pallet Stones. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
One of my eBay buyers sent me a Waltham wristwatch to look over when it stopped running.

It had overbanked, and when stripped, I found a pallet stone tipped over sufficient for the escape wheel to skip, but still held by its yoke.

Can anyone advise how the Pallet stones are usually held in place please? Is shellac or some other means used to retain them on these movements?
There appears to be nothing holding the stones in place other than maybe pressure from the yokes.

It's a 7j movement serial no 647729, there are also the numbers 25 over the main serial, which could be part of the main number, but not I'm familiar with Waltham serials.

Best regards
John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Hi John,

Yes, shellac is used to secure them. The pallet is warmed gently on a pallet warmer with bits of shellac in place, so the jewels can be set as soon as it softens enough. Clean up the excess and test to see that the jewels are at the correct depth.

Posts: 95 | Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida USA | Registered: January 16, 2006
posted
Many thanks Tim, much appreciated comment.

Shellac is usual on Swiss and English watches, but this Waltham seems to be devoid of anything at all, and probably why the stone came loose.

It's possible some cleaning fluid or other has removed all the shellac, as the movement is spotlessly clean otherwise - better check the roller jewel too I think!.

Thanks again,
John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006