• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

American Waltham PW balace staff question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello all: My watchmaker asked me to look for a balance staff for an American Waltham pocket watch, as he isn't on the internet. I'm not knowlegdable about pocket watches, so I'm needing help. The serial # is 14565689. I couldn't find any other #'s other than the case #. How will I determine what balance staff or possibly a complete balance assembly is needed?

thank you, Scott Allison

Posts: 88 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Scott,
I'm sure someone will jump in soon but you could start by contacting Brian C. at the address below.

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Scott

The number you list, are you saying that is the case number? If so that will not help. Could you post a photo of the movement? Did your watchmaker say it needs a staff or the entire balance.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Thank you, the # I noted is on the mvt. The watchmaker said he's like the balace staff, but would buy a balance complete if need be. I'll get some pics tomorrow.

thank you!

Posts: 88 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Scott

According to the Waltham data base that number is for a 6 size Seaside Model 1890. Brian would be my 1st choice for the staff. I will do a little more research & see if I can find out further.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Scott

It looks like a 1890 model 6 can take two different balances a 13219 & 13220 I am not sure of the difference in the two.

Tom

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Scott,
Tom B. is right on with the part numbers. The difference being the size of the hole in the balance. I have both staffs. Have your watchmaker measure the old staff or better yet, give it to you, and mail it to me, to match. eMail me if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Brian C.
(thanks Steve)

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Scott,

The serial number may or may not be on the balance so it would be better to just try and replace the staff and keep the watch as original as possible.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008